New upper tailgate

elbekko

The one at Paddock seems to be the best value. Is this the case or are there better ones out there (in terms of fitment, completeness etc)? I don't really need the window...

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/WEB_EXCLUSIVES/Range_Rover_86-94/Range_Rover_Classic_Top_Tailgate_%28aluminium_frame%29.html

Now, I'll be needing new locks etc too, as they're all rusted through. I've been told I can't get the bottom seal anymore, is that true? I still have the old one, but I'm not sure I can reuse it (it came off when pulling off the ducttape that's holding the current tailgate shut).

Any other things I should look out for?

I bought mine from here:

http://estore.eclipse.net.uk/epages/rangerovertailgates.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/rangerovertailgates/Categories/Tailgates

I went for the frame kit (£175 + VAT. It went together O.K but i should have replaced the supplied mild steel bolts with stainless as they rusted severely within a few months.

One tip to pass on if removing the glass from the original steel frame is that when angle grinding the corner welds to cover the glass with protective covering as the angle grinder peppered mine with molten steel specks :(

I hae found that the aluminium upper tailgates need pushing closed by hand each side to latch as they will flex.

I hae found that the aluminium upper tailgates need pushing closed by hand each side to latch as they will flex.

I need pushing closed by hand each side, then a hard tamper, push/release the lock in the middle, then banging hard twice on the side that didn´t latch anyway... :lol: Gives people at the public parkinglot something to talk about.

I fitted an ally top tailgate a couple of years ago, bought at Billing from the chap (Dave) that makes them . I fitted new side latches too and serviced all other latch components.

I can happily report that with the latches functioning and adjusted correctly, it closes easily with one hand. One gentle movement, no slamming at all. I'm sure it's repeated slamming, with knackered latches that won't properly engage that causes the bending of a tailgate in a moderately advanced state of decay.

There shouldn't really be any flex, the glass stiffens the whole assembly considerably.

I have no experience of Paddock supplied ally tailgates, but I would say that is a good price if it comes with the glass fitted. Unless you have very good locks already, do yourself a favour and fit a new pair. It's worth the extras few £.

I have no experience of Paddock supplied ally tailgates, but I would say that is a good price if it comes with the glass fitted. Unless you have very good locks already, do yourself a favour and fit a new pair. It's worth the extras few £.

Seeing as my current locks are rusted through so much they won't even stay closed, that was the plan already :lol:

Thanks guys, seeing as there are no obvious horror stories or much better suggestions, it's time to order. Now to find all the other parts I'll be needing...