Contaminated Axle Oil. Flushing the Tubes and Diff.

Is there a good way to flush out the Axle ?

I've just replaced all my breathers and when i took the rear off i decided to stick in a zip tie to see what came out on the end. The oil that was on the end certainly had some level of sand/grit etc. Not excessive you understand but enough to make me this of cleaning it out. god knows how long its been in there and the oil is 6500 miles old. I took off the main filler plug and took a sample from the surface using a syringe. The oil is clear and good so i expect the particles are large enough to sink to the bottom.

any ideas ?

Recently I emptied the oil to refurb the axles, all the oil that came out looked clear , removed the diffs, the sludge in the bottom that was below the level of the drain plug as unreal :o

mopped it all up and cleaned all the tubes as it was stripped !

Don't really want to strip it. I could remove the pan I suppose.

Is removing the pan as easy as it looks and just a case of some silicon gasket to refit ? I could then use a garden sprayer filled with white spirit in a hope of flushing some of it out from the tubes.

I suspect what you pulled out of the breather was a combination of condensation, oil and small bits of rust from the condensation. I doubt that the rest of the axle tube is in a similar state -all breathers get blocked with gunk over time, and it looks pretty horrible, fortunately it mostly stays at the top of the axle and is small in amounts :)

Sounds like you are on about a Salisbury axle, in which case yes removing the pan is as easy as it looks, and RTV will do a good job of sealing it up afterwards. Whether I would bother is another matter entirely ;)