110 2.5td Hi-cap

I've just purchased a g-reg 2.5td Defender high capacity and have a few questions. I find the engine seriously lacking power, any hill and it dies very quickly. Is this normal? and if not what common problems should I be looking for? I've been told the 2.5td is not a very good engine. I'm used to driving a 300tdi 90 so perhaps I was expecting too much. How difficult is it to convert to a 200 or 300tdi? Thanks

Thanks for the response. I'm only using the hi-cap to cart stuff about off road so I'm not looking to spend vast amounts of money, which might be the case looking at 200/300tdi engines on ebay. Is it worth thinking about a 2.5d engine? I also have a daihatsu fourtrak engine, but is that more complicated? Thanks

i've had a 2.5 na, a 200tdi and a 2 300tdi's and acouple of v8's.

2.5 na - flat, flat flatitty flat flat. Even on the flat. 55mph flat out. Generally, flat but reliably so.

200tdi - waaaaay more power, a different game all together. Not a v8, but still good.

300tdi - not a lot different to the 200 in my opinion, but hard to be sure.

Had a mate with a 2.5td. He ran 35 inch simex which should have sapped all the go out of it. He tweaked the pump on it til it smoked like hell and it did the trick. He eventually upgraded to a 200 tho.

Maybe tweak what you've got and if your still short on gogo then consider an upgrade?

Just another quick question. I just jacked both rear wheels off the ground to check wheel bearings etc..and for some reason, even though the handbrake was on I could turn both wheels and the propshaft wasn't rotating? I'm pretty sure that it's a salisbury rear axle. I don't understand???

The handbrake becomes ineffective as soon as one of the rear wheels is off the ground (it brakes the transmission, not the wheels). If you turn one wheel clockwise - the opposite side will turn anti-clockwise. This is normal.

Les.

The 2.5 TD is known to have its problems, but having owned a 90 TD in the past, I'll say it's an underated lump. I've towed well over the legal weight trailers and been surprised by it. Yes it's underpowered for a 110,noisy, and has a hideously heavy clutch; but if you're only planning farm/off road usage I'd stick with what you've got. There's always low range if the going gets tough :)