Jump Start Battery. Portable Power. Now thats more like it.

I just love this company ever since the origional powermonkey.

startmonkey400 parameters:

jump-start current: 12V, 400A, 4,800watts in 6-8 seconds

Battery: 7AH x 3, Lithium Polymer rechargeable

Battery Capacity: 21,000 mAH

https://powertravell...ingsoon/000398/

This is rated to 1200 CCA. Its also small. Its a bit expensive but this would really get you out the carp in a remote area.

ps they already do a 200amp version. Same size i think.

post-19188-0-88406500-1304604852_thumb.jpg

I use high discharge lithium polymer or lipo batteries in radio controlled applications and I would avoid for this type of application.

There is another system out there that adopts the a123 battery and this is more suited to high discharge and re-charge.

Lipo batteries tend to explode and puff up if over discharged and recharged.

Lipo batteries tend to explode and puff up if over discharged and recharged.

..and when they explode, the continue to burn Napam style until they have set everything around them alight.

I used to charge mine in an ammo box.......... outside.

Fun things :)

Near on every device nowadays has these batteries. I'd hardly say they are dangerous considering there are millions in use.<_<

You could argue hydrogen build up from lead acids caused many a disaster. You're dealing with chemicals and high potential currents. All batteries are dangerous and i'd hardly say this company has a reputation for poorly constructed devices. I've found all their gear to be exceptional.

I once saw a spanner evaporate in a 50V 600Ah battery. When i say 600Ah that was the size of each of the cells in the bank. Short circuit current was somewhere in the 10,000 amp range i'd imagine. I should have been using plastic spanners :ph34r:

They have a Hydrogen Fuel cell device in developement. Now thats another story.:o

Near on every device nowadays has these batteries. I'd hardly say they are dangerous considering there are millions in use.<_<

Most devices have Lithium Ion batteries, not Lithium Polymer.

Without knowing the differences in chemistry between the 2, I do know that the latter is much more explody :ph34r:

I'm sure that as batteries evolve, the LiPo horror stories will continue beyond the actual risk of using the batteries. Maybe they have already. I have personally had 1 LiPo get hot and swell while being correctly charged - it was less than a year old - and one let lots of smoke out while discharging. Both were from reputable manufacturers and were correctly maintained, balanced, charged and used.

Lithium Polymer are wide used in all sorts of applications but they tend to be in MP3 players or Iphones or devices with very small current draw. They do not like maximum current draw for long durations so im surprised that they chose this type of battery for this use. An A123 pack or Li-Ion would be much better.

A123;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvmvrmTMMk

That looks pretty good to me! I might even buy one!

The current generation of LiFePo batteries are much more suited to this kind of high discharge application and are much less likely to give you a Napalm experience.

Si

I did it a slightly different way - using the X-Eng split charge kit to allow me to run a second battery for things like the winch, extra lights etc. I put a switch into the circuit so that I could activate the relay even when the alternator wasn't producing electricity - not generally good for the second battery I know, but that way I could use the leisure battery as an emergency jump-start to the main battery. It worked for me.