Help - gear level gone floppy

jeremy996

My 1989 110 CSW has suddenly lost the ability to select gears - I have two, low box 3rd or high box 3rd and a floppy gearlever. My wife has decided that her long held opinion that my CSW is "a heap of junk" has proved apposite.

Can anyone suggest a fault location procedure and a suitable way to proceed. (I cannot get the main box out of gear, so I don't have a reverse).

Remove the 4 bolts securing the lever, springs etc. to the top of the box and remove the whole shebang. You will see a cup that the bottom of the gear lever sits in and this is connected to the operating rod by a small grub screw. 90% this screw has come loose - you will see what I mean. Remove, degrease VERY thouroughly and refit with thread lock. I tightened mine once and then had to thread lock it when it came loose a few months later.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
Remove the 4 bolts securing the lever, springs etc. to the top of the box and remove the whole shebang. You will see a cup that the bottom of the gear lever sits in and this is connected to the operating rod by a small grub screw. 90% this screw has come loose - you will see what I mean. Remove, degrease VERY thouroughly and refit with thread lock. I tightened mine once and then had to thread lock it when it came loose a few months later.

Chris

Same as that.... we used to have to do this job loads on excercise with the LT77, bloody troops swinging from the gearstick would make it come loose! :rolleyes:

Congratulations to GBMUD et al for accurate remote diagnosis. The grubscrew was out and hiding under the socket.

(I have a photograph but I am too stupid to add it - it's in my personal album at the moment).

Thanks to all.

gallery_193_99_53688.jpg

Chris

Very impressive. Now, please explain how you did that! (as that is what I wanted to do). Knowing how to look up the URL would be very helpful.

There was a thread on a Morgan group some while ago about grub screws falling out as the +8 shares a gearbox. I've sent them the photo as well. As you might expect the gear change has improved out of all recognition!

Thanks guys, having your support makes fixing problems much less daunting.

Mine got a lot better too. :)

Posting pictures is easy. You get the URL by right clicking on the picture you want to post - the full size version rather than the thumbnail. Select properties and there is the url. Copy and paste it in between a [img} and a [/img}. In fact, if you click the tree icon in the reply box it does the [img} bit for you! Use all square brackets, I had to use curly ones to avoid upsetting the forum.

I think there is a tutorial somewhere, possibly in the Discovery forum.

Chris