When was last Freelander 1 built?

Hello, does anyone know when the last Freelander 1 were produced? I have an 04 reg TD4 auto with 68K trouble free miles and I am thinking about replacing it with one of the last Freelander 1 models (Freelander2 is too big for me and a bit overpriced too). I have seen a few 56 reg and wondered if there are any 07s about (and yes I have looked on autotrader).

Thanks

Funnily enough I was wondering about this earlier today while I was walking the dog.

I have never come across a Freelander 1 on an 07 or 57 plate, I am not saying they don't exist as it is always possible that a vehicle sat around a dealers compound for a while if it was an unpopular model or spec but certainly I have never seen one not even in our extensive search for the newest / lowest mileage, grey / black or silver 5-door TD4 HSE that we did last year.

An example of this was my old Laverda Jota.

When I bought it in the early 1990's I queried the registration letter and soon confirmed with the original importer / dealer that it was built 2-years before being registered (built 1978 but not sold until 1980) and this was entirely down to the fact that it was an unpopular colour (metalic gold). It was a simple job to get it re-registered onto an age related plate which reflected its year of manufacture rather than the date of first registraton (i.e. S instead of V).

The last freebie 1 was 56 model. I have just changed to a freebie 2 although I love my new one, the 56 TD4 was in my opinion a better car.

Once u have freebie you don't want anything else

Regards

Freelander Geordie

Hello,

I have also owned a FL1 for 3 years and I have a FL2 since one year and a half. FL1 was OK and I loved it (well, in my case the 1.8 petrol gave me headaches), but I could not say that FL2 isn't (far) better than FL1.

May I ask you what part of the FL1 is better?? 'cause I'm really surprised to hear this.

viorel

"Once u have freebie you don't want anything else"

Hmmmmmmmmmm, can't agree with that one. :(

My wife's 2006 TD4 is a nice enough vehicle. Very capable, economical (38-39MPG), easy to maintain, reliable and quite comfortable but I am afraid there is no way I would want to own one myself. Having been around LR's all my life I find it too 'car-like' for my tastes (the trouble is that I just don't like cars very much!) and prefer the whole driving experience of the 90 (I don't bash my head getting in & out of the 90 either).

Funnily enough I was wondering about this earlier today while I was walking the dog.

I have never come across a Freelander 1 on an 07 or 57 plate, I am not saying they don't exist as it is always possible that a vehicle sat around a dealers compound for a while if it was an unpopular model or spec but certainly I have never seen one not even in our extensive search for the newest / lowest mileage, grey / black or silver 5-door TD4 HSE that we did last year.

An example of this was my old Laverda Jota.

When I bought it in the early 1990's I queried the registration letter and soon confirmed with the original importer / dealer that it was built 2-years before being registered (built 1978 but not sold until 1980) and this was entirely down to the fact that it was an unpopular colour (metalic gold). It was a simple job to get it re-registered onto an age related plate which reflected its year of manufacture rather than the date of first registraton (i.e. S instead of V).

So did you paint it orange as well ?

No, everyone had an orange one! :D

I had that one repainted silver and my other one (I had two, greedy or what?) was in the original green. Although orange was available as a colour at that time I think it was a year or two later (1980?) when all were painted orange with a silver frame as standard.

Of course it was only the UK bikes that were real Jota's, the rest of the world got a Jota lookalike with standard internals. My silver one was a real Jota and the green one was a Jarama which had been given complete Jota spec (and some more!). I sold them both a few years ago and bought myself a nice new BMW GS, much more user friendly.

Its funny how we all have different ideas about what is right,to me Jota's and the 500 twin only ever looked right in orange ! Bit like Guzzi Lemans being red.

I've just sold a Ducati MHR,an early one of the first 200 built..... It looked far better without the fairing,maybe it needed the little 900ss one.

Cant agree on the BMW tho,just really dont like flat twins. ;)

Had a Mk1 Le Mans as well and yes, that was red!

It was one of the few bikes that I actually desired but ended up getting rid of it after only 18-months as it was just so small! My knee constantly rubbed on the cylinder head and on the one occasion I took my wife as a pillion she found it so uncomfortable that we had to stop every 10-miles so she could get off. LOVED the linked brakes though.

BMW are an aquired taste and I had never really fancied one but there is no denying that the GS is an excellent bike. I was finally swayed when I noticed how many were around the rally scene and the comments people were making about them, I had a test-ride and immediately put myself on the 3-month waiting list for a new one!

Time move on however and although I have no justification for getting rid of the BMW (I have only done just over 20K miles on it) I feel a longing to go back to Honda. The CB1300 appeals and although I know it won't be as practical as the GS (I will miss those big alloy panners and the CB won't look right with my Krauser's on) I might to have to go and order one soon. For a big bike they are very compact (especially after the BMW) and it really makes me feel nostalgic with the twin shocks and simple layout.

Anyway, shouldn't we be talking about Freelanders??????????? ;)

Nah,the freelanders have been done to death on here and bikes are much more interesting !

I had a Guzzi monza with the linked brakes,excellent little bike - went well for what it was.I always fancied a Honda Africa rather than the BMW stuff,a trials mate has just bought one - a real beauty.

The newest FL1 I work on is a 56 plate auto - and its boring. :rolleyes:

Ooops the police have arrived.... Strictly on topic here,I was looking up some FL1 bits on Microcat today - I noticed that it shows all later parts ending in the 5A model year.This indicates that the last production cars were made before Aug 05,but it just states up to 5A999999.No last serial number,so not sure how you would find the exact last one,but it would have been around that time.

I saw a 300 tdi 3 door once that had a genuine 02 plate registration - problem is Land Rover forget what they build and the cars may sit a thye factory or in holding areas long before they get registered. So a 07 Freelander is probably a 05/ 56 car that just stood about a bit

Regards Chris Bowler

My son has worked in Zambia for a mining company and claims that they had new Landrover 110s with (presumably) Leyland engines and without any of the electronic control stuff in them. He was told that there was a stock of these vehicles for sale to places where you need to be able to fix it yourself without all the diagnostic stuff. Guess they wouldn't be road legal here for emission and safety reasons.

My son has worked in Zambia for a mining company and claims that they had new Landrover 110s with (presumably) Leyland engines and without any of the electronic control stuff in them. He was told that there was a stock of these vehicles for sale to places where you need to be able to fix it yourself without all the diagnostic stuff. Guess they wouldn't be road legal here for emission and safety reasons.

The 300TDi engine with out the EGR (I assume this is the one we are talking about here) was available in rest of the world spec vehicles right up until just 2-3 years ago when they finally stopped making that engine. There were a lot of these vehicles availble in this county a couple of years ago (all brand new) for registration outside the EU (overlanders etc). I also bought a brand-new 300TDi engine from LR Genuine Parts and it is sitting snuggly in my 1986 90 along with an R380 and the rest of the kit neede to make it a 'factory fit' conversion. What doesn't meet UK or EU emissions for new vehicles is often still ok in vast areas of the globe.

Ooops the police have arrived.... Strictly on topic here,I was looking up some FL1 bits on Microcat today - I noticed that it shows all later parts ending in the 5A model year.This indicates that the last production cars were made before Aug 05,but it just states up to 5A999999.No last serial number,so not sure how you would find the exact last one,but it would have been around that time.

My 55 reg FL1 VIN No starts with 16A so not sure that 5A would be the last VIN No.

My 55 reg FL1 VIN No starts with 16A so not sure that 5A would be the last VIN No.

Dunno,I just typed what I noted on Microcat.But then that is only as good as the info that was put into it,I did some work on an early Disco 3 that does not exist according to Microcat........

I also had a 1940 Matchless G3 that didnt add up to the parts list - Ooops,not allowed to talk bikes. :ph34r: