Have I Lost Something ? I have a clean threaded hole on the gearbox ho

rdw

Hi,

Whilst looking for the source of an oil leak, I have found a clean threaded hole on the gearbox housing. Hopefuly the image has loaded, it is to the right of the circular plate, to the left of the propshaft. Can anyone tell me, have I lost something ?

Regards

rdw

post-14279-0-90101500-1305390811_thumb.jpg

Without crawling underneath my land Rovers to check I'd guess it's where one of the wading plugs goes (there should be two: one on the bell-housing, one on the timing case). Normally left out to allow drainage, Land Rover recommend they be fitted if wading to prevent water and muck from entering. IIRC the plugs should be screwed into spare tapped blind holes ready for use but may have been lost long ago.

Cheers,

John

Thank you for your replies - Zardos, you are absolutely right, apologies, it's a 2003 Discovery 2 ES automatic - what gearbox type I couldn't tell you.

JohnL - that sounds a perfectly reasonable, if it is a drain hole, has it always been open or would there have been a plug fitted and it's now missing ? These are probably very dumb questions, but would I have lost any fluids from this ?

Thanks for your time

rdw

Ok the gearbox will be a ZF4HP22EH or ZF4HP24EH

As the threaded holed is near the inspection cover (the circular plate with three bolts) then it is in the bell housing, which contains the torque converter which is surrounded by air (so no possible loss of fluids from this hole).

I don't think it will be the drain hole (that is there to drain any oil leaking out of the rear engine oil seal) as it is too high up the bell housing.

So as John L says it might be the storage location for the wading plug (for when not blocking the drain hole when wading).

I don't think that the actual wading plug comes with a Land Rover it is something you have to purchase separately, but they have provide you with a handy storage location for it if you have purchased one.

So short answer is no you have not lost anything.

Thank you all for the reassurance.

I think it was just seeing the bright, clean thread that gave me the shock - as if something had worked its' way out !

rdw

D2 Autos don't have wading plugs either diesel or petrol just the same as petrol D1s autos, so it not a wading plug hole.

Who told you that. I have a D1 and it certainly has a wading plug hole. The photo for this thread is also that of a wading plug hole.

Who told you that. I have a D1 and it certainly has a wading plug hole. The photo for this thread is also that of a wading plug hole.

You will only have a hole if you have a timing belt and or a clutch, the theory is any oil escaping via a faulty seal will drain out and not contaminate belt or clutch plates, also the holes are positioned at the lowest point of the timing case or bell housing.. But then you know all that.

You will only have a hole if you have a timing belt and or a clutch, the theory is any oil escaping via a faulty seal will drain out and not contaminate belt or clutch plates, also the holes are positioned at the lowest point of the timing case or bell housing.. But then you know all that.

And yes there is one in the auto bell housing as well.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

2003 D2 Td5 Auto Transmission

Found this thread - exactly answered my question!  I was underneath the vehicle (RHD) checking a few things and noticed the inspection plate (held with the three nuts) and the mysterious threaded hole (threads all nice and clean)! 

So, I don't have to worry???  This threaded hole is to allow you to lock the flywheel and therefore the crankshaft (not something I would envisage needing to have to do?)?

Now I assume the inspection plate is to check the condition of the flywheel?  Do I need to open that at any stage to do any checks?