Leaking Plenum's

Muddy 1

Hi Guy's

Finally getting along with my Squirting my Hybrid but having issues controling Idle speed, having removed the PWM and blanked all vacuum pipes and breathers I was still running at 1300rpm with the Idle valve closed, So started checking the plenum and inlet manifold for leaks, by spraying some nasty stuff in the local areas upon spraying around under the throttle body my engine tone changed, ah leak found!! so stripped off the Plenum and the inlet manifold to find the gasket sealant I used hasn't worked at all really, Serves me right from nicking it from work! Cheapest carp you can find must be!

So can anyone recomend me a decent high temp sealant for the inlet and plenum chambers, Is Blue Hylomar still as good as it gets? or any thing better?

Nick

yeah Mating surfaces are all good, but the sealant I used seems to thin in viscosity, and bled through rather than sticking to the surfaces. If Hylomar is in the Green bible then that sounds good enough :D

Ok this is getting frustrating now.

Plenum stripped and resealed using hylomar, tickover now at 1100rpm. All vaccuum hoses blanked off except fuel rail T peice and Squirt MAP, Have blanked Fuel rail but made no difference and MAP. Idle screw shut. Pwm removed and hoses blanked. Not had this fault before squirting and only change was to remove the plenum and clean up when squirting.

Throw some Ideas at me, as I'm lost?

Not throttle flap at all, had cardboard over the throttle body tonight, Prv has been checked and not that. Could this be the Squirt? fueling or ignition? Although it's on nige's base map so shouldn't be to far off.

Engine breathers were removed and blanked in this exercise! I have found the cause and feel like a plank :( whilst the plenum was off first time around I removed the very rotten throttle body heater. Didn't realise one of the mounting bolts for this is a direct hole into the plenum!!! DOH!!

How I found it was to use my bee smoker and waft smoke around the engine to see if I could find the draw. Which I did. Now has bolts back in all the holes and lots of sealant around all of them!!!

I have control of my engine again! Watch the squirt thread for my build pages!

Thanks

Nick