Quick CB question

The wife, unwisely, let me wander off on my own at our local market cum car boot sale this morning. So I'm now the proud owner of a go-cart, a gel battery, some begonias, and a Moonraker Minor CB. Fortunately (?) she focused on the go-cart ("you senile old pillock...." etc.) so didn't get too much stick over the CB.

The question. No antenna (what do you want for £5?) but I want to check if it'll power up before investing further. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's a bad idea turning it on without 'load' on the antenna. Is this correct?

Sell the Land Rover and keep the go cart (far easier to run and maintain) put a wee donkey in the garden.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A go cart as a smokescreen.....now why didn't I think of that :lol: Due to the low conductivity of begonias it's best to leave the mic completely disconnected from the set 'till you have the antenna and cable to fit. Then put an SWR meter on and Roberts one of your parent's brother.

A fiver is a very good price for that CB, I'd be tempted to try it on a mates aerial before you spend out any money on bits to fit it as the cost of coax/aerial/power cable etc will cost a good bit more than you paid for the CB. However saying that it is a good excuse if it turns out not to work... ' .... seeing as I have got all the other parts it would be a waste of money not to buy a new CB now' ;-)

• 1 month later...