Wheels for a series 2

Jon W

Right I have got my hands on a 1960 series 2, which has been stood for a while so the tyres are perished. I want to get this on the road as quick as possible, and in my shed have a spare set of discovery 1 alloy wheels. Will these fit on the series so I can get it MOT'ed and on the road? I know that they mat fit on the drum braked axle of a 90 with centre caps removed.

Cheers

Jon

I think the drive members will foul the wheel centre , back in the day when people were fitting RRC rostyles to series Land Rovers the wheel centre of the "spokes" had to be heated and stretched to clear, and as Jon says studs are smaller , and more importantly screwed in and staked so designed to take a wheel where the centre dia is a close fit to the hub register.

Later S111 hubs with knock in studs will take a wheel with larger centre hole dia but will still foul later alloy centre on the drive member :)

hth

Steveb

You could have the wheel nuts turned on a lathe to remove the tip of the bevel so that they wind further onto the studs, taking up the slack on the wheels' bevelled nut sockets. you could just grind the tips off if you're careful to get them pretty square and make sure that the nut doesn't quite touch the hub once tightened (so that they pull the wheel in tightly). You'd probably be looking at removing just a 1-2 mm from the nuts to get a good fit.