Swivel bearing play

I have a leaking swivel seal which has movement/play when the wheel is rocked at 12 and 6. Very similar to Les' technical archive thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5601.

Will I need to replace the top and bottom pins themselves or just the bearings to remove the play?

Getting my shoping list ready for ordering, preferably prior to dismantling.

Thanks

To reduce the play, you may get away with just removing some shims from the top pin in the first instance. This is unlikely to help the leak though, although i guess it might if it helps the seal sit properly without movement in the swivel. I have done this several times on mine, but i'm down to no shims now, so time to re-build i think!

Depending on the age you will either have bearings top and bottom or a railko bush on top and bearing on the bottom, but if you are rebuilding the whole lot then it doesn't really matter because a full kit will have the lot. But (as always) avoid the blue box stuff...

People seem to like the teflon coated cups, and I fitted these on mine when I rebuild the swivels. They don't leak and look pretty nice.

Currently in the process of stripping down. Stopped for tea. Top pin doesn't look worn. Down to the stub axle so far.

I have ordered a Bearmach swivel ball service kit from mailorder 4x4 but they are out of top pins for my chassis no, so I will order the new ball and pins later from elsewhere along with anything else I find I need.

All stripped down now. :) Not too much drama, but unfortunately the bottom swivel pin bolts have sheared, and so has one of the little 8mm bolts that holds the swivel seal retaining plate in. :angry: Both top and bottom pins themselves don't look worn at all, so hopefully just the bearings had worn.

So now I need to order the swivel ball, some bolts and both pins.

Then tomorrow night I will get rid of those, then when the bits come, put it all back together.