A potential bargain for someone............

Just been browsing a well known auction site, and found a turbo, now, it says thats its a 300tdi turbo, brand new, however, it looks more like a 200 to me, as it doesn;t have the central bit of the exhaust manifold built in.... this one has a flange, now, i don;t want to cause an issue by posting a link, but if you search 'land rover defender 300tdi turbo' you should find it..... its in Dorset, not far from me, but nothing to do with me i might add..........!!

Not exactly new- a bit of eBog digging shows that he bought it in mid May for £165. It was then described as:

"hi thanks for looking this is a 300 tdi turbo which i bought brand new, I was lead to believe that my original one was at fault so bought this and fitted it for all of an hour but found that it was a pipe that was faulty it has sat in my garage for about 7 months the outer body has slight surface rust but the inside is very clean and as it should be, it was bought for a discovery but believe it will fit any 300 tdi all pipes and brackets are on it"

The manifold for the turbo is completely wrong for a 300 tdi. On mine it has a round port on either side that the manifold pipes fit into. The turbo may still be ok but would probably have to have the manifold swapped off the original.

I have emailed the seller, who stated..

I'm not sure what the model no is but embossed onto the manifold which you can see in picture 5 is the code BR70540168. There is also a small metal plate on the turbo itself which you can just make out in picture 1 which says 712473-0001 which has p/n underneath it. In the boxes below it says 70993370 which has customer p/n under it and a final code of KD0128E which has s/n under it. The turbo also has the name GARRETT embossed onto it. The only other details embossed onto the turbo are M27 and A/R48 and finally a number 5 has been stamped on it.

A little digging around has found this page, which appears to suggest that it is for a defender, HS2.8........ somehting i've never heard of, however might it be an hs 2.8 tgv turbo...??????

I have emailed the seller, who stated..

I'm not sure what the model no is but embossed onto the manifold which you can see in picture 5 is the code BR70540168. There is also a small metal plate on the turbo itself which you can just make out in picture 1 which says 712473-0001 which has p/n underneath it. In the boxes below it says 70993370 which has customer p/n under it and a final code of KD0128E which has s/n under it. The turbo also has the name GARRETT embossed onto it. The only other details embossed onto the turbo are M27 and A/R48 and finally a number 5 has been stamped on it.

A little digging around has found this page, which appears to suggest that it is for a defender, HS2.8........ somehting i've never heard of, however might it be an hs 2.8 tgv turbo...??????

What page ? did you mean to add a clickable link

HS2.8 is the Brazilian built 300tdi 2.8l tgv

There's a chap in somerset selling a tgv engine, so i pom;'d him on D44 and he says its not the same is his tgv unit either, although i'm pretty sure they do both wastegate and vnt type turbo's..... so maybe this is the wastegate version.......... whatever it is, its certainly not what it was bought by the seller as..!

the mystery continues, as the exhaust inlet on the one for sale is different to those pics, sadly it seems the guy was sold something totally wrong, can you believe there was someone on ebay the other day selling a '300 tdi turbo' but the picture was of an impreza one. . . Some people have no idea. . .

..... can you believe there was someone on ebay the other day selling a '300 tdi turbo' but the picture was of an impreza one. . . Some people have no idea. . .

You would think that the shape of the car they took it off of would give it away......