trim angle for edis

disconc

Hi everyone,

my build project has made a giant step, even if it is spark control only. I am too shy to go fuel n spark in one go !

I am running a discovery with a 3.9 auto, no cats, lucas 14cux for fuelling, and as of today, MS1 extra 029y4 + EDIS for spark.

Multiple check of the wiring, SAW not connected, starter : and it runs !

Check with timing light :

-> I have checked first my tdc mark on pulley was good

-> Edis in limp home mode : should be fixed timing at 10 deg BTDC

-> check with timing lamp : reads 8 deg BTDC

So I am a bit out I believe as far as VR sensor and trigger wheel are concerned, but I am not confident in touching these.

Apart from the EDIS limp home mode, which will remain at 8 deg then (not a problem as with the dizzy I was at 6 !), Is there a way to set some kind of offset in Tunerstudio/MS, so that the value shown on TS gauge is the same as the timing lamp ?

My only try was to put a few degrees in trim but does not seem to cure my problem !

Here is what I have done, and I hope a grown up might help a newbie on this silly topic :

- Running at idle in a bin with 10 deg advance

- MS shows 10 degrees advance in gauge

- Check with timing light, reads 8 deg BTDC

- Spark settings -> I put 2 degrees as trim angle

- MS now shows 12 in the gauge, and still idling in the 10 deg bin in the spak map,

- Check with timing light : reads 10 deg

So it seems real timing corresponds to the map now, yet what is disappointing, is the gauge reading spark table + trim angle, say 12 here.

Is there a way to overcome this in TunerStudio (offset the gaude itself) ?

Or any other setting to change to compensate for the VR sensor offset ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards

Erik.

You've done it exactly right, trim angle is the thing to use.

If you right-click on the gauge in TS you *may* be able to pick a different readout, otherwise you'd have to ask on the MS / TunerStudio forums as I'm sure you're not the first to find this.

Hi Mr Fridge,

thanks for your answer. Now I know I have not misunderstood something on the trim angle stuff.

Following your advice, I have posted on MS extra forum but have not received an answer yet.

For reference purpose, I continue here, in case someone else might be interested.

On another hand, I browsed through the ini file, and discovered that the advance gauge is showing the value of "advspark" which seems to be calculated from the MS output "advance" :

advSpark = { (advance * 0.352)-10 }

Do you think it would just affect the gauge display if I change for example -10 by -12 in this calculated field, or would that affect something else ?

Thanks again

Erik.

Hi everyone,

for what it is worth, here are my findings about an offset between real advance seen at the pulley and TunerStudio with EDIS.

When TunerStudio shows 10 in gauge, timing lamp on pulley shows 7.

So I made Spark Settings -> trim angle = 3.

Now, when in a spark map bin showing 10, timing lamp shows 10 on the pulley, but the gauge in Tunerstudio shows 13.

As I am a lazy mechanic, I did not want to change the VR position to correct the offset, so here is what I have done (this is only a shortcut to a good solution I know !).

In the project directory of Tuner Studio, there is a projectCfg sub folder containing a mainController.ini file, dedicated to this project.

I modified in the [OutputChannels] section the way advance spark, which is shown on the spark advance gauge, is calculated from the advance output of the MS.

By default, it is : advSpark = { (advance * 0.352)-10 }

(No idea where this formula comes from, but it is there !)

so in my case, I made it : advSpark = { (advance * 0.352)-13 }

And I am pretty happy with the result by now : advance table bin = TS gauge = mark on pulley :-))

If I have done something awfully wrong, please some grown up tell me, if not, I hope that might help others.

Cheers

Erik.

• 1 year later...