P38 never sleeps

mollydog10

:( Ive had spurious alarms and occasional flat batteries for a while now. And also heard various beeps and buzzes when working near the car (message:interior light on / off) :unsure: Recently noted the faint glow of the P light on the gear shift is on most of the time. Read all about the radio interference keeping the car awake, or waking it up repeatedly.

It all seems to be getting worse recently, :angry: flat battery replaced with a charged one this morning, bugger of a job getting alarm and immobiliser working with the emergency key code,disconnected the remote antenna on the back, finally got it going and went for a short run in it. All OK. Came to use it this evening......battery flat <_< .......put recharged original battery back in, went for a longer run and have parked in a different position on the driveway, locked it on the key. Just checked and it seems to be asleep now (no red glow on the P), We'll see what happens in the morning. :ph34r:

Anybody got any suggestions / advice (apart from selling the thing...) ;)

hi molly, you could be lucky; I could be that the ignition lock sylinder is dirty with ground off metal filings from the key and the cylinder itself partially shorting the connectors inside. That can also trigger those sympthoms. Try spraying with WD40 ~generously~ inside with the straw half way in.

If that Helps then disassemble the lock and clean it as well as you can.

Hi Molly. I'm having the same problem. I've disconnected the rf amplifier in the boot. This has now allowed the car to sleep for about a minute before waking up again,( was constantly awake before ), I'll let you know If I find out anything. I need to find out why the car is waking itself even tho it has no reason to anymore.

Thanks for the input guys, unplugging the remote aerial and parking in a different spot (3m further away from the house)seems to have done the trick !! No sign of it waking up, no spurious alarms, and it was left for three days without draining. I'm happier with it now!! :D

Thanks for the input guys, unplugging the remote aerial and parking in a different spot (3m further away from the house)seems to have done the trick !! No sign of it waking up, no spurious alarms, and it was left for three days without draining. I'm happier with it now!! :D

Be warned that just unplugging the aerial won't necessarily be enough to protect you if you park near an intense RF source like a hospital or airport. I'm fairly certain the aerial was unplugged on my P38 (disclaimer: I never actually checked, but you had to hold the key close to the car to unlock it, which would indicate it was unplugged), and had to walk home and fetch my wife's car after the birth of our son...

Later that day, following my failure to reactivate the car using the EKA code the police closed the very busy road past the hospital while the AA loaded my car which grid-locked most of Harborne. So sorry if you got stuck in that, the year before last...

• 5 months later...

My brother's P38 had this fault, and required the car to be on constant trickle charge. Disconnecting the antenna has worked for him, but as Geoff says a strong RF field can still get in. Hilly exposed locations and local equipment can do it. 433 mhz Wireless weather stations, energy monitors, alarms, garage door openers etc etc. I confirmed the signal by the P38 with a radio scanner. Brrrrrrp Brrrrrrrrp Brrrrrrrrrp :huh:

The only real fix is a new spec receiver £170, don't buy an ebay unit. The cases can be swapped easily.