Headlamp bowl woes

Well today I managed to wire the ignition barrel of my 90 rebuild and the engine turned over when the key was turned and it would have fired if it had any fuel so that’s not too bad. Then I had a go at the wiring of the lights and indicators…..

The headlights I thought were a bit ropey and would need replacing eventually as they are sealed beam units. When I had a good look the half bowls of the headlamps were rotten as pears :( .

Does anyone know if the plastc bowls come with the fixings and beam adjustment screws as I had to cut the others off ? I have already got a set of halogen replacement units but no bowls or half bowls.

The odd thing is the full bowls were quite good with just surface rust.

ps pair of working sealed beams free to a good home.

post-13733-0-12811000-1307827035_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-66561200-1307827062_thumb.jpg

Don't worry there not that expensive: Linky there are worse things that can go wrong, and you will be glad of the change to decent headlights although you may want to also consider upgrading the wiring if it is old as this can also make a huge difference.

Jason.

I prefer the half-body for sealed beams, makes changing the bulb a 30-second job rather than having to remove the light from the fully closed bowl to do so. I admit that's hardly a task, but why make life difficult? :P

so how do you change the bulb in a SEALED beam headlight then :P:unsure:

Well I quite honestly meant to write halogens, I even thought to myself "don't be a tit and write sealed beams"...which must have made me write sealed beams ^_^

I know what you meant, & don't blame it on tiredness & that it's late. :P

Ok, thanks for the replies. Parts now on order just one question I forgot to ask: do replacement headlights units come handed as they are unmarked i.e. left or right? Of course then comes the setup of the beams I searched and found a thread but the directions that had been scanned had cut the first few words from the start of each line.

I will see if Google yields anything.

Thanks for the help.

Almost there I keep telling myself, almost nearly anyway! :unsure:

no only marked for left or right dip pattern.

for UK you need left hand dip headlights.

Thanks for all the help Ralph and others,

It has been a long old job and its a bit like triggers broom now with so many new bits and adaptations. A friend has fabricated some items in stainless steel for the rebuild when I get chance I will post some pictures. What started two years ago as a few running repairs has developed into almost a ground up rebuild but its been fun and a steep learning curve "vertical more like"

Thanks

J :)

Well today I managed to wire the ignition barrel of my 90 rebuild and the engine turned over when the key was turned and it would have fired if it had any fuel so that’s not too bad. Then I had a go at the wiring of the lights and indicators…..

The headlights I thought were a bit ropey and would need replacing eventually as they are sealed beam units. When I had a good look the half bowls of the headlamps were rotten as pears :( .

Does anyone know if the plastc bowls come with the fixings and beam adjustment screws as I had to cut the others off ? I have already got a set of halogen replacement units but no bowls or half bowls.

The odd thing is the full bowls were quite good with just surface rust.

ps pair of working sealed beams free to a good home.

yes they do they are about £8 i think