petrol in diesel

Hi, can anyone tell me what damage I will have done putting petrol in to my defender puma and running it for about 7 miles? It ran ok just noisy.

My big worry is what it will have done to the pump, as it is lubricated by diesel oil.

Soon as I realised what I had done I stopped and had the vehicle recovered.

It is at the garage now and hopefully drained etc tomorrow.

I had 4 gallons of petrol for my generator alongside 5 gallons of diesel. I'll not make that mistake again.

Any thoughts greatfully received.

Rocky

The excessive noise (rattle?), is the petrol detonating too soon. Petrol also explodes, whereas diesel burns, so not very good for a diesel engine, but probably not in the short term.

Was there much diesel in tank in relation to the amount of petrol you put in it? There may have still been enough diesel in the mix to lubricate the pump in the short term. I would have drained the system and filled with diesel and kept an eye on it. Garages have a bad habit of saying that your engine is wrecked, when this is rarely the case. I've only once come across critical engine damage when petrol has been put in a diesel - this sort of thing was quite a common occurence a while back and usually just needed a system drain. If the engine sounds ok when you get it back, then it's unlikely that you've done any damage to it.

One my customers recently wrecked his own engine in a similar way. He poured neat petrol over his diesel engine - while it was running :). The engine sucked in the hot petrol fumes and away it went. Very dramatic and terminal - I have it here for engine replacement :lol:

Les.

Hi you should be OK, I take it that there was 5 gallons of diesel to 4 gallons of petrol in the Defender.

I would think that the diesel would still be enough to lubricate your pump.

A friend of mine filled his Sprinter with petrol (he is a mechanic) when he was in a rush and his van was empty, it was recovered after about a mile and drained and has run OK ever since.

Regards

Frax ;)

One my customers recently wrecked his own engine in a similar way. He poured neat petrol over his diesel engine - while it was running :). The engine sucked in the hot petrol fumes and away it went. Very dramatic and terminal - I have it here for engine replacement :lol:

Les.

What on earth was he trying to do? Clean it? :blink: