Can a worn clutch

yep, my temp gauge goes to about 105º.

If I take it out of gear whilst driving and rev the engine, it can help cool it?

I have half changed the gearbox oil, just waiting for the other half of the oil to arrive by post, opps.

Gonna see if this helps.

I can't really see how it can be linked but in theory if the clutch is slipping that badly it is causing the engine to race then it conceivably might cause the temp to rise a bit but you'd notice the unmistakable pong of burning clutch lining long before that. Next time the temp gauge rises try turning the heater to hot and put the blower to full whack and see what happens.

I'd say start at the basics like the thermostat and then go on from there.

Thanks, just thought I would check, not noticed the burnt clutch smell at all, and my rev are not really going through the roof.

I will look try the heater first as I did muck about with adding a bilge blower into the air intake of the heater, it kinda does not work, when the engine is on and we are sitting still I do get more air, but when we are moving then it's pretty rubbish / blows cold air on hot?

Will then flush the system, then try the thermostat. Also my power steering box is acting up, this also might not help I guess...

it's a 2.8 TGV, also pretty sure there is no air in it. As I fill it ages ago with coolant and it's been fine for a while, but the weather has shifted from extremely cold to extremely warm. I have recently changed the power steering pump to no avail on making the steering box work. Also on a cold start up, when it is 5º or below the engine does make a little wine until it has warmed for afew min's

As Les has already said a slipping clutch won't cause an engine to overheat. But if the thermostat turns out to be OK it could be a split air intake causing the engine to run lean(hot), blocked/faulty radiator but when you do a coolant system flush it will eliminate this. faulty water pump, it could even

be a faulty temp gauge not likely but i have had it before on 200tdi. does it overheat on idle or when driving?

I have a 2.8tgv.

I believe they tend to run warm/hot, when compared to 200/300tdi's.

I fitted a high output radiator from Brunel Engineering and kept the viscous fan in use, as an electric one did not provide the required air flow, in the UK when under load.

I first noticed overheating towing (about 800kg) up long hills with the electric fan.

Also off road progressing at low speed up hill with the wind behind me. When into the wind the temperature dropped to normal.

This discovery led me to consider volume of airflow to the radiator, not usually an issue with 200/300tdi's!

Given the above I refitted the viscous fan prior to the planned Morocco following advice from simonr, who intimated that the output from a viscous far exceeds that of an electric fan.

With this setup there were no overheating issues in Morocco last year at 38 degrees C, either on long off road climbs or in low ratio deep sand conditions, even fully loaded to max GVW (3.5 tons) and possibly in excess of it...

John