Wheel Arch Grey/Black matt/shiny

hi there

ive broken a wheel arch its matt grey ive got another one wich is an offical landrover one but its shiny black and was told that it would weather but will it change colour to grey??? i dont realy believe the guy. im shore it will go matt but it will still be black rather than grey i just want it to look right.

'Back to Black' from Simoniz changes weathered grey plastic to slightly shiney black for a little while, so you can make it match, but all the black plastic on my disco has gone matt-ish grey, so I would expect so.

Kevin

The matt black arches that have the slightly glittery effect to them (as fitted to MoD and most commercial vehicles) do start of gloss black. It is indeed the UV light that turns them matt and glittery over about six months. I bought a set of four new arches for my vehicle and had the same thing happen. They are still decidedly black, though. grey arches may be pattern parts (many are made in ABS which turns grey in the sun) or may have been the paintable type (if they're dove grey). I also have a set of new arches which were fitted after an accident damaged one of the matt black ones - these were modern paintable arches that started off gloss black but turned a dark chocolate brown over a month or so. I refitted the matt black arches and soured a second hand replacement for the damaged one from a scrap yard, but I still have the browned arches as spares.

get the black boot polish out & work it into the arch with a brush/rag.

Does this apply to the grainy matt black/glittery type ?

I've just put rock sliders on mine, which were galv when I bought them and I've painted with POR15 so getting the wheel arches back to black would smarten up the sides a lot.

I use WD40 or other oils on a rag to wipe the arches to make them black again. I have heard of people using peanut oil and even peanut butter.

It looks like the new arch is the same as my new set that went dark chocolate brown.