Swivel housing oil seal 9mm vs 8mm?

Hi all, I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding the swivels on my '85 90", and have gotten the willys over the seals included in the britpart kit. so I'm going to get some OE ones. trouble is, paddock lists the same part no. as Jcraddock, but paddock lists the seal as being "8mm" and craddock lists the seal as being "9mm" is there any appeciable difference between the two?

CHeers

DB

yeah, that's what I thought, the seal atm, stands proud of the face of the swivel housing, I wonder whether with the smaller. ie less tall seal this protrusion wouldn't be as big? Which I guess is needed for the seal to seal effectively against the swivel housing.

also, should the seal be a tight fit in the housing or a loose fit. as the one I have in the kit just drops in with quite a bit of slop and I'm not too happy about it tbh...

oh yeah those are the ones I was looking at, I have just measured it, the 9mm as you say is the seal depth, so, as you look at the seal from the side, it'll be the width. I'll go and order some then!

mine had 2 retaining plates on when I took it off (part no. 571755) would it matter too much if I replaced it with the single plate (part no. FRC4142)? what was/is the reason for the single plate? i guess it spreads the load better, and is the single plate thicker than the double plates?

as far as I can tell, the retaining plates are both flat, no step at all.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Thanks, Ian, I've measured the old seal where it crossed the gap at the top of the housing (so wasn't pressed against the seat) and the britpart seal, they're both +/- 9mm, with the BP seal more like 9.5mm

sooo... what's the deal with Paddocks listing the OE seal as 8mm? gonna have to ring them up on monday methinks....

No problem danebrewer

I also took off 2 retaining plates. I couldn't understand why and it seems other people have had 1 or 2 (see my thread on pitted swivel replacement).

You are correct, they are both flat, no steps, and both the same size.

If you have taken off 2 plates, I'd put 2 back on.

stainless yes! mine are terribly pitted, gonna have to get some new ones

Hi western, my Land Rover parts book says 1 plate per side for the 20L-23L and 2 per side for 61L-64L. thing is my axle no is 22L but it had the 2 retaining plates! I think I'll just go with the 2 it had on seems simplest... moooreee shipping costs....