Tacograph fuse/fault in TD5

M&S

A couple of times recently my TD5 Disco has had a totally flat battery (after been stood for 3-4 days). Now this isn't normal and has only recently started to happen. We figure something was drawing power/stuck on etc and I have swapped relays around, done some tests and all seemed good...

...then the other day I was sat having lunch and I heared the tacograph suddenly start making a noise like a mechanical egg timer going super quick! It normally clicks away quietly but this was really loud and sounded like it was in overdrive!

It stopped after I lifted the lid and gave it a slam, but I'm guessing that this is what has been causing the battery drain. Random, and I don't know how long it might have been going on for over the 3-4 days.

So, what's wrong with the tacograph and anyone know which circuit it might be fused from? There's no in-line fuse that I can see (taken out some of the centre console) and I can't get the plug off teh back. Well I guess they are "tamper proof" for a reason.

PS - no need to go into legalities of them, usage, etc, thanks, as I know this has been covered elsewhere. I don't need or use a tacograph, it came with the vehicle and I decided it a good thing to leave in. Now it needs calibrating and the fault fixing I'drather just switch it off.

Another suggestion was the ECU wasn't going into "sleep mode" when teh engine was stopped/vehicle locked. Is this true and if so, any way of checking?

It's probably 18 months old...funny but it did go through a stage where I thought "must change that" as it wasn't working from as far away. Didn't know that would affect the sleep mode, didn't even realise it had a sleep mode to be honest!

Will change keyfob batteries anyway, thanks for the reminder.

I wonder if that's why the previous owner said the vehicle battery needed chnaging every two years on these (meaning the D2)...maybe his keyfob was causing problems.

Still doesn't explain the tacho going into overdrive but there could be two seperate, unrelated problems. Will try and get a keyfob battery this afternoon.

Thanks, you learn something everyday :)

Not knowing anything about the physical working of tachos but I'm assuming they contain a chunk of electronics to do their job. Anyway some electronic circuits will behave strangely when they aren't being supplied the correct voltage, so could your tachos dance frenzy be explained by reduced voltage from the main battery due to it being drained? Just a thought, as in dancing tachos may merely be a symptom and not a cause.