I've finally bought a Land Rover, but now I need help.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post the Forum, having read about it in Land rover Mothly many times.

I am looking for help and advice.

Having wanted a Land Rover since childhood, i have finally purchased one at the tender age of 46. I originally was hoping to buy a Series 111, so I could use it at classic car events. However, I wanted a decent diesel engine for economy, and wanted power steering so that my wife could get use of it, and I have plans for other work/ mods as time goes on. Last year I saw a 1987 90 station wagon for sale which was within the budget I had set aside. It had started life as a V8, but now is fitted with a Nissan LD28 N/A diesel.

Having bought the Land Rover, I discovered that it needed a lot more work than we had first noticed, including a new fuel tank, half shaft, various other bits, and a lot of welding to the chassis. This kept my mate in beers over the winter.I look on this as a project vehicle, and any new work is getting it closer to the way I want it, although some see it as a white elephant.

In April it was finally MOT'd, but the starter switch and battery needed replacing.

After that I had eleven happy days of driving, before it developed a fuel leak. Simple enough to fix, a piece of corroded pipe which would be replaced by a new length of rubber hose. however, as I dont have a garage, I headed back to my mates house, and arrived just it time to get a puncture. Then as if this wasnt enough, the next day i dropped the tyre in for repair at my local tyre and exhaust place, and on the way back to collect it, my gearbox packed in.

Its really this that I could do with advice on. As I have said, the engine is a Nissan LD28 and it is coupled to the original LT85 gearbox, The selector fork for 1st/2nd has apparently bent on this.

I am told that the gearbox and transfer box will need to come out to effect repairs.

That being the case, there are apparently several options. The LT85 could be repaired and refitted. We might could replace the LT85 with an LT77 from a Discovery. Or my mates brother in law has an Auto box which is a Land Rover reconditioned unit.This was in a Range rover Classic which was powered by a 6.2 litre GMC engine.

In every case, it sounds like its going to cost, but what would be the best option? I quite like the sound of the Autobox, but have no idea of what parts I need or if any company still does Nissan convertion kits.

Does anyone have any opinions/experience/ advice which doesnt include the use of a box of matches!

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Thanks for the prompt replies gents. Heard lots of good things about LT85 boxes. BTW, what oil do you use in them. I've been told ATF, but I'm sure that I read somewhere that isn't right.

I take it that the auto box conversion would be a major project?

Dave.

I'd avoid any Rover box that's been behind a GM V8 diesel, it will have worked bloody hard behind all that torque!

The LT85 is a very strong box, and is only agricultural when compared to the newer R380. It does have a tendency to get noisy, but it'll go on working fine. I can't recall if I used to use Multigrade engine oil or ATF in mine, definitely not EP90 though.

I agree with Spearos, replace like with like, far less work involved.