oils which one do you use

gsr341

this is a carry on from my other 2 threads regarding oils and filters etc .

i never realised there where so many different oils required , with the good old series 3 was just EP90 and cheap engine oil ..

am i now right with the following oils for each application :

Engine : good quality 10w/40 ?

Gear box : mtf94 or gear oil sae 70w/80 ?

transfer box : either mtf94? or ep90 ?

axels/swivels : good old EP90

also people have recomended the 'Diff lock' evolution 1 gear oil , or there evo 2 oil , any one any experiance with these , i have allways tended to stick with the branded big names with oils and stuff..

so what oils do you use (300TDI) and why please ,

this is a carry on from my other 2 threads regarding oils and filters etc .

i never realised there where so many different oils required , with the good old series 3 was just EP90 and cheap engine oil ..

am i now right with the following oils for each application :

Engine : good quality 10w/40 ?

Gear box : mtf94 or gear oil sae 70w/80 ?

transfer box : either mtf94? or ep90 ?

axels/swivels : good old EP90

also people have recomended the 'Diff lock' evolution 1 gear oil , or there evo 2 oil , any one any experiance with these , i have allways tended to stick with the branded big names with oils and stuff..

so what oils do you use (300TDI) and why please ,

Engine Tdi use 15w/40

main gearbox mtf94 or atf

transfer box ep90 -- nothing else

axles ep90

front swivels depending on age of vehicle ep90 or the oneshot runny grease

coolant good quality anti freeze/summer coolant type :D

Castrol Tection 15w40 in the engine

Currently I use MTF94 in the gearbox though I have some Difflock MT75 oil to try in there at some stage

I have also used Castrol Dexron IIID (a type of ATF) in my old 90 which was just as good as the stupidly expensive LR oil which IMHO makes no difference to the gearchange

Castrol EPX80w90 in the t/box and diffs

Stupid LR sloppy grease in the swivels because there are no drain bungs to put oil in

Being a newish one my 90 has the funky hot pink OAT antifreeze in it that smells of rotten fish, though as the engine and cooling system is the same as all other 300Tdis I think I would probably go back to normal antifreeze if I ever had to change it

Duckham 20/50W Classic in the V8 (V8 need 20/50W esp the early ones, not sure of the latest versions) and 20/50W cheapish oil for Primary box (comma / Planet) (LT85)

everything else (axles swivels Trans box etc etc) EP90 Planet or Comma whichever I can buy cheapest in 25 litre drums :rolleyes:

I also work on the basis of changing all Oil REGUALRLY especialy if I have been sitting in water etc for a while...

Nige

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

Engine: Penrite Diesel 15 Semi Synthetic

Gearbox: Castrol Syntrans 75W85 Full Synthetic

Trans & Axles: Castrol Syntrax 75W90 Full Synthetic

Swivels: LR One Shot, soon to be replaced by Penrite NGLI 00 grease

Why? It's hot here, and synthetic lubricants do a much, much better job in the heat IMHO.

- Engine: Castrol GTD Madnetec 15W/40. Superb stuff but it does cost a few £££

- Gearbox: Dexton III (autobox), normally castrol.

- Transferbox and axles and swivels: EP90 (whichever is cheapest in large drums :lol: )

I've played arround with both grease and oil in the swivles and you deffinatly want oil. Grease tends to find its way past the seals into the axle case and then it doesn't come back out again. In terms of protection grease is OK, though. One other point is remove the seals in the stub axles to allow you to let oil into the wheel bearings; they last much longer if you do.

TD5 90:-

Engine - Difflock 5W30

Gearbox - Difflock Evolution 1

T/Box - Difflock Evolution 2

Axles - Difflock Evolution 2

Swivels - LR one shot grease

Overdrive- Difflock Evolution 1

The Difflock oils are magic stuff and don't cost a fortune.

In the pwer steering and hydraulic winch I use Land Rover extreme temp synthetic PAS fluid (the stuff they put in ACE systems).

Edited by John_T

No no no!!!! Don't use Tesco's oil for clutch and brakes... . use WD40 - it works a treat!

Aw, now you're just making it complicated esp for a diesel owner that has never seen this mythical WD40 stuff ;)

Edited by LR90

• 5 years later...

Engine Tdi use 15w/40

main gearbox mtf94 or atf

transfer box ep90 -- nothing else

axles ep90

front swivels depending on age of vehicle ep90 or the oneshot runny grease

coolant good quality anti freeze/summer coolant type :D

Ere....I notice you say "transfer box ep90 -- nothing else". I use EP80W/90 as my old man has a fair bit kicking around......presumably totaly fine, as its mainly the same?