MOT & Emissions - SVA'd vehicle.

MJIbex

I know various SVA type threads are kicking around, I think this is slightly different.

I'm after a steer on the following:-

The Ibex which was SVA'd in September 2005 is currently a diesel auto - and hence is tested as so at emissions on MOT.

I am in the process of switching to a V8 petrol manual.

I am hoping this will not cause me a major headache now!

When I submit for MOT will I need a CAT (from what I am aware on SVA'd cars it says to refer to the V5 for emissions)?

Will it need re-SVAing (or equivilant)?

Tin of worms open.

Cheers

Mark.

You shouldn't need to re-SVA (or IVA as it will be now....) as it is just an engine swap.

Whether you will need a cat(s) will depend on what they deem the vehicle manufacture date to be, this is not necessarily the registered date on the V5.

It is a bit of a minefield TBH, so I suggest you contact them about this, either by phone, or if you can wait for a day or two, drop an email here:

approvals@vosa.gov.uk

Have had very good, precise service from them in the past, and will no doubt be using them again in the near future :)

Cheers,

Pete.

Hmmm, I could scarcely believe that, but after a bit of research rather than ranting, it appears unless something has changed recently, you should not require an emisisons check other than a visual one.... :)

Learn something every day.....

It is still the case however, if you change the engine in a normally registered vehicle (non-Q) then the vehicle is tested to the older of the two items (car or engine) but the onus is on the owner to prove the engine date of manufacture. Section 7.3 of the inspection manual.

http://www.transport...lsandguides.htm

If it's on a Q plate it shouldn't be tested for emissions either way, according to my tester.

That's interesting, if this is true, they have done the smoke test for my car unnessecary for the last 3 years.

Daan

It seems the MOT manual says:

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1st August 1975

Pre '75 is a visual test only, IIRC, so as long as you don't smog out the test bay you should be OK.

Emissions will not be shown within the main part of your V5.

Look at the bottom of the front page. Section 3 Special notes.

With any luck it will have info about when the SVA was done and the emissions requirement.

Steve