Insurance - with a twist

That was probably a gazillion years ago now Ralph ;) Have you had this years renewal yet?

Highjack!

I got mine from the NFU last Monday - £253 last year - £491 this year. Thirteen years, same vehicle, same house, no claims in that time.

Gave them a ring, They have not made a mistake - I dont have a garage - I says "I've never had a garage since I been with you"

Thats what Head Office says she replied. Goodbye NFU, hello Tower Gate.

That was probably a gazillion years ago now Ralph ;) Have you had this years renewal yet?

18 years :) next renew is due end of August 2011, hope it hasn't gone up[by much] been with NFU since 1995, same vehicle, same local NFU agent.

I too had a shock when I got my renewal quote from NFU, phoned around some companies and got sick and tired talking to people who didn't have a clue about landrovers and especially any mods on them, so phoned NFU to discuss my high quote and managed to get it down by a substantial amount, so am staying with them.

So my advice would be don't ignore your quote speak to them and negotiate.

Just a little recommendation: Footman James do a classic car policy (any car over 15 years old). You do not accrue any NCB (which could be seen as a downside).

However, at the time I was 25, I have a 1996 Defender 90, which has a winch, w/bumper, rock sliders, 2" lift etc..etc. Basically quite modified. All mods have been reported to Footman James.

I rang them up, said I have heard about them on a Land Rover forum, and within minutes they quoted £136 fully comp for the year.

At which point I bit their hand off.

Editted to say: I also have an agreed value of £9000 which was confirmed after sending them pictures of the Truck and a load of reciepts.

Just a little recommendation: Footman James do a classic car policy (any car over 15 years old). You do not accrue any NCB (which could be seen as a downside).

However, at the time I was 25, I have a 1996 Defender 90, which has a winch, w/bumper, rock sliders, 2" lift etc..etc. Basically quite modified. All mods have been reported to Footman James.

I rang them up, said I have heard about them on a Land Rover forum, and within minutes they quoted £136 fully comp for the year.

Editted to say: I also have an agreed value of £9000 which was confirmed after sending them pictures of the Truck and a load of reciepts.

Any kind of mileage limitation with that policy?

Quite a lot of "classic car" policies require that as well as the cheaply-insured classic you also have another 'primary' vehicle. And/or they impose an annual-mileage restriction.

--Tanuki

I am with Footman James, and have a classic fleet policy, unlimited lieage - free breakdown & legal cover fully comp. True, no no-claims bonus, but I'm on year 5 with them, and still very happy with their service. At renewel this year, after reading some of the threads on insurance, I had prepared for the worst, but lo and behold, no massive price increase! (Just a small rise due to two of the cars changing during the year and the increase in VAT)