Front defender calipers on the rear.

zim

Evening,

I'm sick of my fiddles not working properly, so yesterday we're sat in the workshop and James (co driver) and i are chatting. Basically we have the LRS challenge on sunday and nothing to do between now and then, so decided to cut the back axle up and fit bigger calipers on. They're a set of 110 / later 90 style (4 x 46mm pistons) - same as i have on the front.

A couple pictures of how we did it if anyone is interested :

One Bracket made, one piece of thick plate ready :

post-9903-0-52452800-1310078383_thumb.jpg post-9903-0-83318400-1310078231_thumb.jpg post-9903-0-40943000-1310078259_thumb.jpg

post-9903-0-42945700-1310078277_thumb.jpg

James working his magic :

post-9903-0-98301100-1310078292_thumb.jpg post-9903-0-35459100-1310078309_thumb.jpg post-9903-0-61011600-1310078323_thumb.jpg

Another little job we've got done :

1 x front prop - spare

1 x front prop awaiting welding up (baily morris)

1 x rear prop (baily morris)

1 x rear prop which was shortened after this picture for a spare

post-9903-0-33622200-1310078343_thumb.jpg

Maybe not quite the same degree of engineering as Si from X-eng, but it kept us busy for a while :)

G

Looks good to me!

A while back, I made (well, they were laser-cut for me!) some bolt-on adapters to put additional front or rear calipers on to a rear axle by extending the stub axle bolts and securing the adapters to the rear of the flange on the end of the axle with nuts. The calipers then bolt straight on.

The reason they didn't make it in to the X range was my business insurer went a funny colour at the mere mention of 'interfering' with the service brakes - even though they only shared the disk.

Si

I'm running the normal brakes through these as well. So will have to put a bias valve in. But to be honest i don't in fast enough for this to be a big problem.

Si, was that using rear disc or front? Fronts are more offset so had to cut the old mounts off. I've gone for front to get better pad coverage. I like your idea though :)

Mine used the standard rear disks.

The bracket shown has bolt holes for two different sizes of caliper (110 Front & RR Rear IIRC). To fit either, you have to cut off one of the lugs as they interfere.

post-74-0-86410200-1310131029_thumb.jpg

2D Drawing.pdf

IGES File for universal adapter

Fiddle Brackets.igs

IGES File for 110 Caliper Adapter

Mk3 110 Caliper.igs

IGES File for RR Caliper Adapter

Mk3 RR Caliper.igs

As you can see, the holes where it mounts on to the axle are relieved by 3mm. This is because the metal is not very flat there except in a small circle (which are the bits which look like washers.

You can make it out of 10mm plate and use small 2mm thick washers against the axle and the caliper which keeps the offset correct.

Si

Just been driving it around the yard today and erm...maybe a bit more travel ?

The fiddles work good, but there is quite a bit of travel on the levers (and they're longer than what they come from CNC). For some strange reason, the right feels different (softer) to the left ?

But i can now lock a wheel (37") up without too much difficulty.

G