series 3 disc brakes1

some major progress intended within the next week or so!

i need new swivel balls (hence other post) and whats the point buying new series ones when i might aswell spend the monies on this!

im going to use the 7 bolt swivels ive decided, but plug the bottom 2 holes and drill a 6th hole a'la suffix A swivel. which can only be as strong as a suffix A or series swivel anyway. spacers are being cut, then i will machine them to take the alignment flanges.

ill leave the shafts just for now as i need to get through my MOT in the next 10 days and thats not a neccesity.

watch this space!

how are you going to go about fitting the track rod?

id do your own measurements for the spacers, use mine as a guide but whoever put it together didnt get his measurements quite right so the track at the front was always a bit narrow than the back.

i stripped the set up off mine as i need to sell it and thought it be better to sell standard :( got a 90 now for uni - that was over 6 months ago and i still havent sold the series - really dont want to haha

i'd really advise you to try and put a third bolt in the middle of the steering arm and into the housing to make it stronger.

i will not be putting all the bits from mine back on a series again until there is at least a third bolt in it.

when i took it apart to put my 2a back to standard, the two bolts that held the arm on werent in the best condition

my steering arms are held in by 4x bolts. all M12. i already looked at that when i put it together on the bench, so drilled and tapped another 2 holes into the swivel housing. pictures are due very soon. ive got both hubs mounted and all i need to do is make up 2 brake pipes to get it back on all 4 wheels. unfortunately im at uni at the moment so im stuck doing nothing on a day off! rather annoying.

sounds very good!

looking forward to the pictures

i hate being stuck at uni not being able to do anything i need to do on the landrover when home is 3 hours away. more days off to come though i think because of the snow.

all ive done is fix the handbrake while lying in the car park in the 2 weeks ive been back!

people dont seem that keen at all where i am which is a big disappointment!

ive only got a small socket set and some screwdrivers here.

ive got to swap the internals of my 90's front axle out and replace them as they are far too worn so i might do that in the car park to see if i can get the ball rolling!

yeah. we have a "student garage" here at harper. but it was shut down because of equipment abuse.

the 4x4 club are thinking about trying to re open it but having a sign in and out sheet for all students! and the club taking responsibility, however only providing a roof and ramp, no tools. students canuse their own tools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

currently only traveled 100 miles or so on them, with limited ability to test them due to overshort shocks and now a broken gearbox.

what i have driven though has been pleasant (in a steering and braking point of view) the steering feels exactly like it did before so no castor issues or anything amiss.

The efficiency at the moment is slightly less than a drum set up with perfect shoes (tested directly before and after conversion due to MOT retake) at about 260 each side in comparison to previously 315 each side.

These numbers are good to look at the difference but the disks and pads need to settle to each other as i am using new old stock disks with some surface rust. so a slightly patchy contact area. unfortunately my picture size reducer aint working but you can see the images here if you have facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151165627371222&set=a.331591241221.157710.650021221&type=3&theater

hopefully i can get my gearbox in bits over the next week and put a new 3rd gear in it! its already out but i'm strapped for time at the moment!

that looks really good! you got the size of the spacer right unlike whoever measured it when they converted mine!

im looking forward to seeing more pictures of it.

when the 80" gets a v8 i'll be putting the disc brakes on it but will be drilling the extra two holes and i'll remake the spacers so they are a little bigger.

Ah, I see... series axle, adaptor to suit the fact that the axle isn't rotated 45, rangy swivels and disco housings and stubs and stuff. Good work, you found a nice easy way to do it then....and rangy hubs are still the same sensible money as everything else too. I like it!

luckily, land rover created the series axle flanges so that the 6 origional holes is exactly 30 degrees from the 6 holes on the rrc swivel where the castor angle is correct. so a real simple fabrication as long as you have access to cutting thick steel in a circle, and a pillar drill and tap set

for a 101, im not personally sure if i would see the need for disk brakes, having just read your other thread and found out that all other swivels are of a different size, i would stick with what hubs you have. if you feel the need for disk brakes, its probably better to go down the route of modifying the actual hubs themselves to take a disk and the swivel housing to take the caliper.

most drums when kept in good nick are as good as disks, for example, my braking efficiency on the front is now 10% lower than it was with fully adjusted drums. tested on an MOT tester. However it was the maintenance that came with the drums that was the reason i converted. for something like a 101 where youre not driving especially fast, or generally not taking it to pay and plays and grinding away the shoes every weekend.