Steering Wheel Compromises?

I had a spare wheel kicking about in the garage so I bought a steering wheel boss from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280702633144&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT and thought i would give the smaller wheel a go...

Few questions as i'm not 100% sure if everything is normal...

My steering column with the wheel removed. 36 spline. '86 military defender.

IMG_1897-1.jpg

The old wheel with the fitting to cancel the indicators (blue bit)

IMG_1898-1.jpg

New boss, without the self cancelling indicator bit. Unless i tweak this new boss a little, the self cancelling indicators wont work, is this just a compromise with fitting a different wheel, or are there bosses out there that will retain that feature?

(actually, looking at that photo and going to check the boss again, i noticed int he bag of screws there are little rods that fit in the two holes on the back... i guess they act as the indicator cancelling bit)

IMG_1899-1.jpg

Wheel in place, but not fitted.

Actually thats another question... does the wheel sit on top of the boss... or underneath?

IMG_1903-1.jpg

The new boss seems to press up against the plastic of the steering column before its fully mounted. It seems to sit on the spline, but im not sure if its fully seating on the tapered bit. Is this normal? There is plenty of the steering column left to get the bolt in place.

IMG_1904-1.jpg

The other issue is that the boss seems to bring the wheel quite a lot further forward than the standard unit... so much so i cant actually reach the indicator stalk anymore. Again, is this normal? Is it just an accepted compromise that comes with fitting a smaller wheel?

new

IMG_1905-1.jpg

old

IMG_1908-1.jpg

I guess the stalks could be altered a little to bring them closer (are they metal... could just bend them?). But yeah, i think i need to fit it and test it out to see if the new position agrees with me.

Or can you actually get a shorter boss? im not really sure why this thing is so deep, really doesnt need to be....

Thoughts?

stalks can be carefully bent towards the driver/steering wheel,

have a look at this thread about steering wheels http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=1324

also see my 2nd reply on page 3 this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3456&st=50 shows a similar wheel that was fitted to a Td5 110 hi-cap, I had for a few days.

Thanks for the replies. Seems like everything is normal then. :)

I'll bolt the wheel on tomorrow and run it for the rest of the week to see how it feels.

I was looking at one of those rather nice momo ones. Most are 14", the brown leather one i have is 15". Quite fancied the quark http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Performance/Steering_Wheels_Accessories/Steering_Wheels/Momo_Quark_Steering_Wheel/323/987, mainly becuase of the flatter bottom, with some non standard seats it can be tricky sliding in and out under the current massive 17" beast. haha

Then again, that thing is 100 quid and this brown one i have is free!

As you have already discovered the roll-pins in the kit fit into the holes on the back of the boss and operate the self canceling collar.

Your boss is very thick, I have used two on my 1986 ex-MOD 90 and neither were as thick as that. One was a Mountney 'Classic' boss and the later one (which is still fitted) is a Mountney '6-hole pattern' (the aftermarket wheel industry standard). I also have a 'Snap-Off' adapter fitted and even with that my wheel is only the same distance away from the stalks as yours.

I used to run a 15-inch Mountney and then a 14-inch but for several years now I have been using a 12-inch Raid wheel and it suits me perfectly. The other advantage is that it fits neatly into my back-pack for when the vehicle is parked up.

As you have already discovered the roll-pins in the kit fit into the holes on the back of the boss and operate the self canceling collar.

Your boss is very thick, I have used two on my 1986 ex-MOD 90 and neither were as thick as that. One was a Mountney 'Classic' boss and the later one (which is still fitted) is a Mountney '6-hole pattern' (the aftermarket wheel industry standard). I also have a 'Snap-Off' adapter fitted and even with that my wheel is only the same distance away from the stalks as yours.

I used to run a 15-inch Mountney and then a 14-inch but for several years now I have been using a 12-inch Raid wheel and it suits me perfectly. The other advantage is that it fits neatly into my back-pack for when the vehicle is parked up.

well this boss claims to be a mountney... as i say it hits the plastic before fully seating and as you can see from the plastic its pretty scuffed up by the standard wheel, im wondering if either the column is short or the plastic surround is incorrectly fitted... probably the latter :)

Fitted the wheel now and will give it a go. Feels quite nice with the arm out the window, hand rests on it perfectly. we shall see how it feels when driving round.

This boss looks VERY different: http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p9049/Momo-Steering-Boss-for-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-No-Airbag-36-Splines/product_info.html wonder if its shorter.

haha.... drive to work was fun!

As it wasnt seating properly i did the bolt up quite tight... so now the new boss is rubbing the plastic so much it took 2 hands to turn the damn wheel... haha.

Slight oversight on my behalf there :)

I fitted a mountney and took it straight off too, couldn;t live with the wheel that much nearter me, i ened up fitting one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-thirty-steering-wheel-/300579678520?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fbf1e938 bearing in mind that my truck is a 96 300....... they bolt straight on, there's a guy on ebay selling them as land rover wheels, but they're not.... they come off old mini's...!!! all he does is fit a different badge in the middle... these wheels are slimmer, and look more stock too.....

Best to check the fittings before you buy one though.... just to be safe!

I fitted a mountney and took it straight off too, couldn;t live with the wheel that much nearter me, i ened up fitting one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mini-thirty-steering-wheel-/300579678520?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fbf1e938 bearing in mind that my truck is a 96 300....... they bolt straight on, there's a guy on ebay selling them as land rover wheels, but they're not.... they come off old mini's...!!! all he does is fit a different badge in the middle... these wheels are slimmer, and look more stock too.....

Best to check the fittings before you buy one though.... just to be safe!

Yeah i hear you can fit metro wheels too. Although i believe they are 48 splines... so i may be out of luck on that one :(