Fuelling/Carb Problem

Tom Fall

Right, bit of back story first.

When I first got my SIII we rejetted and reset the original carb back to factory settings. It was an original Zenith 36IV. Had no problems with it, float levels stayed good etc until the carb eventually warped, which I understand is a common problem. So bought a brand new carb from a reputable vendor.

This is where the fun begins. So I've had the carb on there for about 2 years now. In that time I've had to reset the float levels numerous times. They go out for no particular reason, at no particular time...and not by a small amount. I'm talking 8mm+ out of adjustment in the space of two days with the vehicle not moving?!

So, I've got quite used to that. Now though, I've got a new problem to add to it. I've just adjusted the float levels, and they're perfect. But still, the engine overfuels...to the point I have black smoke pouring out the back and I can smell it in the car. All the jets are clear, everything appears to be working properly. I've adjusted idle mixture and idle speed, all correct. The ignition is electronic, and the car runs perfectly on LPG so I don't think it's an ignition related fault either.

All I can think of is the O ring that seals the two halves of the carb together and stops the float chamber emptying into the intake manifold?

Does anyone else have any ideas?

• 1 month later...