URGENT welder drinking gas

discomikey

Rent free cylinders are becoming more common, they make a lot of sense when compared to the little disposable ones. They're often lower volume, and often at a lower pressure, as mentioned above, but they're still a much better compromise.

I did a comparison between the rental contract I'm on now, with Energas, and a rent free set up, and I'd have to get through about four 20 litre cylinders a year to make the rental setup cheaper. On average I use 1-2 cylinders worth a year.

• 1 month later...

Being a welder myself I'd personally go for a industrial size bottle (mini stumpy or full size) and regulator, it will be a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. The regulators for the industrial bottles are the same size whether it be a stumpy bottle or full size bottle. I would also fit a flow meter to monitor and regulate the pressure.

Jack

Hi, I had one of these welders once and instead of having a gas solenoid inside the welder, there is a simple valve in the torch. The problem might not be the amount of gas flowing when you are welding, but rather the amount that flows when you are not! I seem to spend 99% of my time preparing stuff and only the other 1% actulally welding, so even if this valve is leaking by a tiny amount that might account for your excessive consumption....

You could try leaving the bottle disconnected until the moment you are ready...?