what exactly stops the diesel engine..

pigster

I always thought that the stop solinoid shut off, which then put the plug into the whole and hey presto motor stopped.. however read that someone is running a diesel with out the solinoid in place - how does it stop.

Does it cut something esle as well... ? is it the solinoid that does the business? its a 200tdi by the way.

thanks in advance.

I always thought that the stop solinoid shut off, which then put the plug into the whole and hey presto motor stopped.. however read that someone is running a diesel with out the solinoid in place - how does it stop.

Does it cut something esle as well... ? is it the solinoid that does the business? its a 200tdi by the way.

thanks in advance.

Manual fuel shut off?????

the solenoid shuts the fuel flow when power disconnected as it holds the solenoid in the open position

without it a manual shut off as Will says or stall the engine no other way that is practical

of course:

running out of fuel

removing FIP

Removing cylinder head will have a satisfactory result :)

If the fuel solenoid has had the plunger removed, then the engine will start still, and will make the vehicle slightly easier to steal. However, switching off the ignition won't stop the engine, maybe a decompression lever to stop it, although fitting one would be engineering work. Stalling the engine would be the easiest way, although not so good for the clutch I would have thought. Blocking the inlet manifold with some kind of flap valve - similar for the exhaust.

You could lend it to Les brock, who will blow the headgasket :D

Or BishBosh, who won't stop it immediately, but he'll get it stuck for so long it'll run out of fuel and conk out anyway :P

Or White90, who'll not actually ever get to start it, as he'll be constantly taking it apart to fix/modify bits of it. :lol:

Disco Dunc will bash it with a hammer, swear at it, and then cut it up with an angle grinder :P

HFH will make it so heavy, it'll just plain refuse to start in the first place!

Turbocharger will make so many intelligent, incomprehensible remarks that the engine will get an inferiority complex and stop anyway.

Sorry guys :D

Les. :)

Guest diesel_jim
, maybe a decompression lever to stop it, although fitting one would be engineering work.

We used to have a Kubota compact tractor, and that had a decomp lever to aid cold starting. in the "Japanese translated manual" that you got with it, it stated "that the decomp lever should never be operated when engine is running as valves might bite dust" :rolleyes::D:D:D (cue Queen song: "another one bites the dust...")

Blocking the inlet manifold with some kind of flap valve - similar for the exhaust.

A mate of mine working on his diesel hi-lux tried this by using a rag directly onto the end of the inlet manifold (as he had his air filter disconnected).

it took him ages to remove the head, then remove the bits of rag.... :lol::lol::lol:

My 4BD1-T engine has a manual stop lever on the injection pump.

I was in a yacht race to Lord Howe Island one time, with very bad weather and big seas.

With the mainsail fully reefed and a storm jib, we were still overpowered and the boat was sailing on her ear.

The Volvo auxiliary diesel was started to charge the battery (needed for navigation lights, instruments and communications). But could not be shut down as it continued to run on engine oil from the crankcase and the govenor in the fuel pump could not prevent it overspeeding.

Eventually the flywheel came off and stalled the engine.

My 4BD1-T engine has a manual stop lever on the injection pump.

I was in a yacht race to Lord Howe Island one time, with very bad weather and big seas.

With the mainsail fully reefed and a storm jib, we were still overpowered and the boat was sailing on her ear.

The Volvo auxiliary diesel was started to charge the battery (needed for navigation lights, instruments and communications). But could not be shut down as it continued to run on engine oil from the crankcase and the govenor in the fuel pump could not prevent it overspeeding.

Eventually the flywheel came off and stalled the engine.

could they not just have cut off its air supply

i remember in one of the scrapheap challenges that after some enthusiastic tuning of a truck diesel engine it started revving towards destruction. most of the team downed tools and ran for it apart from one brave soul who suffocated the engine with, i think, a towel.

my isuzu diesel is a bit reluctant to stop when its really low, as in 5l or less in the tank, on fuel. on the few occasions it has happened i just stalled it.