Stuck

SeriesEwan

Morning all,

had a mare of a time this weekend trying to replace a front bush on my 88 took a day and a half of tap tap tapping with a hammer & chisel/ hacksaw/ flame to get the old one out ( until rescued by a neighbour with a hammer drill ) then i got as far as pushing the new one in. I got it most of the way home using a big coach bolt some biffy washers & a nut. Anyway i got it more or less in ( just a quarter of an inch to go i would say ) & i go & snap the coach bolt. So I try again with another coach bolt & that gives up immediately. Does anyone have any bright suggestions how i can push / pull it that last 1/4 inch?

Sounds like it's picked up the metal or maybe even just dirt. Pull it back, various size sockets and 10.9 M10 bolts are very useful for this. Clean it up put in fresh grease try again. it needs to be a good square pull. If no luck, bush out. File all around chassis to clean up. Fresh anti seize and try again. Also file a lead in chamfer on edge of bush.

If you still can't do it consider either getting some different bushes or even Poly bushes.

hmmm i was concerned about pulling back but if its needed its needed. i was planning on getting some machine bolts ( as in the black high tensile variety that are used in many places ) instead of the coach bolts to see if that is any better hoepfully i can ram it the last bit without any issues

would it be detrimental to run with it poking out a tiny smidge?

righty, well i have now managed to pull the thread off a machine bolt so i am guessin its proper proper stuck going to cut it out & start again using the advice listed here hopefully i will be 2nd time lucky

Rtbarton can you reccomend any series friendly garages round sheffield?

I've always used Millhouses Park Garage, Archer Road, for my MOTs. Andy Tranter (if he's still there) is an ex-Series owner.

The others I knew may have gone, Hallamshire landrover Services (?) in Neepsend and Park Landrover Services behind the leisure centre on Penistone Rd. Hillsborough, (near the Bassetts factory).

I usually grind them slightly or spin them on a lathe with some rough sand paper, until they are a tight enough fit, makes fitting and extraction much easier. Sand down the chassis hole as well to remove any rust, or sharp edges.

What happened to you is the outer casing has probably deformed from the tightening. (happen to me once before!!)

G

I've always used Millhouses Park Garage, Archer Road, for my MOTs. Andy Tranter (if he's still there) is an ex-Series owner.

The others I knew may have gone, Hallamshire landrover Services (?) in Neepsend and Park Landrover Services behind the leisure centre on Penistone Rd. Hillsborough, (near the Bassetts factory).

Ahh thats interesting, Millhouses is quite near where I work so it would be handy. I have been going up to holmesfield for lots of bits & bobs but its a bit of a treck / out of the way for me since I moved. I will give them a try :)

I'm not so sure Millhouses will be much help for bits, their work is mainstream vehicles, it's just that Andy knows his way round Series Landrovers.

yeah I take it as given that any garage wont carry parts for a series. I mean odd jobs that i dont wish to do myself & the obligatory MOT

Just a thought - I've never tried this, and I know not everyone has one but how about using a breaker similar to this to push the bush in :unsure: Yes, I have struggled with these bushes too, so I know how tricky they can be.Just an idea...

18Kg? I changed a srping bush a little while ago in my paras....took, I think, 6ton to get it in.....

Rydal Garage on Broadfield Rd (where the Express Dairy was) may be able to help. They are old-car friendly and did a good job on a SI restoration. Pretty well clued up on E-Types too!

18Kg? I changed a srping bush a little while ago in my paras....took, I think, 6ton to get it in.....

No-no - that's the weight of thing (I've got one} :)

You would have to make some kind of foot in order to use it to fit bushes - just removing the chisel or point won't work. The impact comes from inside the nose of the tool.

Les.