Super Winch not working

I have recently bought a 2002 110 TD5, it was owned by a Tree Felling Company :hysterical: . It was standing for a year and a half, but fired up first time :D and passed its MOT with only having to replace a broken headlight, and besides needing a good service and a clean out, is in good condition. One thing the owner said was that they tried to winch a rather heavy machine out of some soft ground with the PTO Driven Super Winch and it and it made a loud noise and now although it will wind the cable back in, it does not have any pulling power :huh: . Looking at the diagrams of the PTO drive do the woodruff Keys in the UJ’s ever shear or is there a more normal reason for this to happen, as I would not think that the winch itself has gone up the shoot, but I may be wrong, the wife says I always am so it must be true :wacko: . Regards Richard

Well on our one which it has an overload clutch on the PTO, this was wound right up and so the chain in the PTO snapped instead, and then there was no drive.

Where as yours sounds like maybe the overload clutch is kicking in too quickly now and might need tightening up. Try having someone winch the Landrover up to a tree with the brakes on and listen to where the noise is coming from.

This may not be the case at all but gives you something to look at at least .

Jon