LT230 Differential

need4speed

Is there any way of checking the condition of the differential unit of the transferbox when the box is stripped.

Will it be necessary to strip the differential unit? I was hoping to avoid it if possible...

when unlocked, if you turn one flange the other should turn smoothly the other way, if it does then it's fine,

Dave

little update on this. Stripped the diff today. Not good news. Cross-pins and gears completely worn.

More worryingly however was the discovery of deep wear ridges on the inside of the diff case where the curved brass washers go. Can someone please tell me if this is acceptable or is this diff completely fubar??

It's not fubar, but while those ridges remain, it will chew through thrust washers quicker than usual. Replacement shafts, side gears, thrust washers etc are all readily available and not too expensive. Ashcroft do a 1-piece cross shaft. You might find another used centre diff available but you take your chances, could be just as worn.

Ray.

Nige and Les - i was always going to fit ashcrofts one-piece cross pin. Thing is, im not sure how thats going to help with the wear that seems to be apparent on the inside of the diff case? Do i need to buy another diff? Does the wear make any difference?

Les - nice build by the way. Great stuff.