zf auto blowing oil out of the breather pipe

yella 90

while at wern ddu today at a challenge my zf autobox (td5 engine and d2box ) starting dumping its oil out of the breather.

it wasnt bubbling as it was coming out it was just like an open tap. all was fine until the box got upto normal op temp (175-200 degree f , which i believe is about right )

on level ground it was ok but as soon as it was on a steep incline it started to bleed.

the breather was located behind the cab so i moved it upto the front side of the cage but it made no odds.

it has done it once before, at the same site but last year. it has since done at least another 6 comps before a rebuild at the start of the year where it didnt move or run for 6 months. before it was fine and was on steeper inclines with no problems

any pointers or things to check ?

oil level hasnt altered from when it was last used and parked up so it cant be over full.

the oil being pushed out was also nice and clean

all gear changes are fine and it takes up drive fine

can someone please tell me the correct way to fill up a d2 box, it DOES NOT have a dipstick

when filling it ive filled it up until if flows out of the filler

then i run it through the gears

put in n and top up while running

cheers

dan

dan, does your box only have the 1 breather @ the back of the box?

simons used to blow the oil out the box & it was cos the breather was being covered by oil on climbs & being blown out the the heat

ashcroft drilled & tapped a 2nd breather for us in simons new box @ the front & so far this problem hasent returned

i remember G, i was looking at the thread on my phone at corwen whilst trying to decide if to carry on or quit while i was ahead,

but i didnt see a cure or if it was cured.

im going to pull the box out to strip it down and add a second breather like ashcroft have done to simon crowes box. i can also weld up all the holes in the bellhousing then to seal the crud out as i also need to clean the dirt out of the cps holes in the flywheel.

dan

I seems as though the dipstick had the oil can in his hand whilst he was trying to fill it......

I hope you've more of an idea with women...........................................................boy......

Dipstick Dan is it now?????????????????????????????

Dippy Dan

i may be a dipstick but i believe your the bigger dipstick of the two of us

i do believe i can get the russions to back me up on that one

didnt they have to rub you up and down in oil just to get you back into the tube ??

even then it took brute force !

its a good job that your such a big dipstick, all that extra mass certainly played a part in you getting back down the tube.

afterall, we couldnt have you stuck in that russion sub forever as you had an appointment with the balet that night didnt you.

boy i can picture you now, sat there all smug in your double seat, sat all prim and proper in you suit with dickie bow.

i bet you got alot of fans asking for an autograph, i bet the kids couldnt believe their eyes....the fat patroller himself in russia !

pitty thomas wasnt there with you

now please dont let me stop you playing with your winch motors, i know you havent yet mastered connecting the albright up properly yet

how many new motors is it now ?

ill save the rest for another time mr booth

we often get this reported so a couple of times we have added a breather to the front and my theory is :

say the oil level is halfway up the box when the vehicle is level and the breather is 2/3rd's the way up at the rear of the box, when the vehicle is pointing up at 45 deg the breather hole is under the oil level, the air in the top of the box expands and blows the oil out the breather,

we add a second breather in the front of the box that allows this air pressure to vent, only done a couple but seems to work OK,

Dave

we often get this reported so a couple of times we have added a breather to the front and my theory is :

say the oil level is halfway up the box when the vehicle is level and the breather is 2/3rd's the way up at the rear of the box, when the vehicle is pointing up at 45 deg the breather hole is under the oil level, the air in the top of the box expands and blows the oil out the breather,

we add a second breather in the front of the box that allows this air pressure to vent, only done a couple but seems to work OK,

Dave

cheers for that dave, i know simon crowe had this problem, since you added the second breather its cured it for him so im sure itll cure mine.

its only ever done it once before and it was at the same site.

ill get the box out soon to strip it down and drill it for a breather, i take it that its drilled just forward of the A clutch pack just before the oil pump ?

shall i tee the breathers together or run two seperate ones ?

dan