Just bought a P38!! Need some advice

Clive

Well, I went mad and bought a P38 on a whim!!! I was due to go on an offroad weekend and the other Range Rover (LSE) had failed its MOT dismally. So Thursday night I walked into a local 4x4 garage and drove out with the car :blink:

It's a 2000 Vogue with 66,000 on the clock, FSH and piles of paperwork. It came with some known faults, which I managed to get a £1500 discount for. I intend to use it for expeditions, with the occasional Green Lane trip (I now need to buff out the scratches I got over the weekend :( ), but it needs to be kept looking as original as possible (instructions from HID :mellow: ).

Obviously the blend motors need replacing which will be sorted soon.

And the HK amplifier is not working either. I need to investigate this further.

There are several minor problems which I would like some pointers as to possible causes, and they all seem to be associated with the doors.

• First of all the interior light does not work with the drivers door! Anyone know where the door switch is located?
  • The passenger door mirror does not return to the memory settings when you press the relevant button. Is this the BeCM or the Door Outstation?
  • Neither door mirror heats up. Again is this the Door Outstation(s)? Strange as to why it is both mirrors.
  • Neither door mirror 'dips' when the interior mirror 'dips'! Is it possible to turn this setting off in the BeCM? The reason I ask is that the vehicle is fitted with darken windows (film) and it is impossible to see much in the mirrors in the dark anyway!

I also put a full set of Grabber ATs on. The local tyre place only had 255/60 R 18 on such short notice so I thought "extra ground clearance" only to find that they don't fit in the spare wheel well :blush: I've now got to sort out a vertical wheel mount, which also gives me the oppurtunity to add an additional fuel tank.

post-6710-0-22403700-1316519114_thumb.jpg

Ref the dipping door mirrors;

Not all P38's had that option. The photo chromatic mirror glasses are horrifically expensive. Both mine had been replaced with ordinary ones and the wires left dangling inside the case!

I'm also interested in the memory function. The memory function doesn't work on my passenger one, it turns down when you engage reverse but wont come back up again.

Yep, my passenger mirror turns down in reverse and won't come back up again!

According to the P38 brochure I have (2000my) all Vogue models had them as standard!

The mirror(s) di^pping but not coming back up is a common fault with (older) P38a's. Easiest fix is just to disable the dip function (via the memory button, the procedure is explained in the owner's manual or RAVE).

The same goes for the heating function, often the problem is inside the glass, so start by checking continuity in the mirror and voltage voltage across the spades.

Ooh, and congratulations with buying one and using it like that! ;)

Went to my local Land Rover dealer and ordered a new remote as I only have a No 2 remote! £150 :o

It arrived within 2 days, but although the key fitted, they couldn't get it to synchronise with the car :wacko: Turns out it was bleeding RF signals everywhere. So another one was ordered under warranty.

The (new) new one turned up after a week, so I went in to pick it up, only to find the the key didn't fit the lock :( After much scratching of heads, they took the key out of the new remote and put it into the (new) new remote. This took a good half hour as they managed to break the drift they were using!!!!!!

Unfortunately, after all this effort the (new) new remote didn't work anyway :angry2: I shall have to try and resynchronise the remotes using some of the methods described on the Internet. Does anyone have any ideas?

When you say the first key fitted, did it fit and operate the door and the ignition? If so there is a good chance they got the 14 digit bar set code right.

Did you order a key1 or a 3 or a 4? you can only sync 1 of each on a p38

To Sync it: leave the drivers window down (just in case)

1) use working key 2 to remote lock then unlock the car.

2) move working key to safe place out of range of rf ign lock operation

3) put new key in door lock and twist and hold to lock position and short press lock button and release

4) twist back through centre to unlock and hold press unlock button and release.

5) back to centre and remove key.

fob should now work

try in ignition within 30 seconds to see if code learned

forgot to say I did this a few weeks back so it has worked.

Only difference being one of the 4 previous owners had the locks changed but didn't get it done by or tell LR. Garage also didn't supply the 14 digit barset code (you only find out these important details later). So when we went to get a new key 2 (only 1 key1 supplied) something completely different turned up along with a bill for £165. At this point your only dealer option is to have a new lockset + accessories. £1000 :blink:

Luckily we eventually found a company which will reproduce a new rf fob For £95 ish as long as you have the old one (working or not). If you have a working one, they send you a box of tricks, into which you record your fob. Send the box back and they send you a key blank and a working fob.

The beauty of this is you can ask for a 1,2,3 or 4 even if you only have a 2.

alarmremotes.co.uk or similar in Co Durham.

They will ask a few question which prove you are the owner of the vehicle

Cheaper than £150 and definitley cheaper than £1000

Pete