lambda sensor

Tom1809

sitting tonight trying to work out what i want to do with the exhausts on my v8, my friend suggested what about splitting it and running twin exhausts, 1 for lh bank and another for rh bank of cylinders. This then leaves me wondering would i need 1 or 2 lambda sensors? if just 1 do i just swap it from one side to another to make sure all is ok while tuning it?

cheers

tom

It's debatable if there's any advantage with MS to running 2 Lambda sensors as you don't have any control over the fuelling per cylinder/side. Generally a single lambda sensor is fine and many people fit the sensor (on a V8) before the Y piece on one side as it's better to get the lambda close to the cylinder head but after the 4 cylinders are joined together.

I wouldn't run a V8 without a balance pipe or a Y system though, I don't pretend to fully understand the theory behind it but in simple terms it's to do with the exhaust flow from one cylinder helping to ease the flow from the next cylinder by creating a low pressure area on the other side of the Y or balance pipe. Without it you get less performance and a rougher running engine, especially if you have a silencer in the system.