Simple(ton's) Diff question

Anderzander

Would I be able to drill and tap a 10 spline diff casing to put a filler in it as per the old Range Rovers ?

I've been looking for a pair of old Range Rover diffs to go in my series - but non have appeared that aren't exorbitantly priced or at the other end of the country..

I assume that the series diff pan doesn't have a fill plug or the question wouldn't have been asked. One solution would be to buy a strengthened diff pan (several available) and weld it on. This will then provide you with a fill plug like the post series vehicles. But, since it is possibel to drill and tap a diff to fit an ARB locker (albeit a small hole) I imagine it would be perfectly feasible to drill and tap the housing to take a fill plug.

Hi Technically no problem there is a 'land' area on the 3.54 in the correct place, physically a major job, diff out and strip, hold in a vertical mill/drill drill and tap 1/2" bsp, re-assemble diff and reinstall. If you really want to do it next diff rebuild send the case to us and we will d/t for you. Regards and good luck Ian Ashcroft