Alternative fuel filler for 74 RRC

SORNagain

Hi Folks,

I parked my '74 RRC in a field on a farm for a few months when it failed its MOT, not realising that the cows would use it as a scratching post.... :blush:

The fuel filler didn't have a key of course, so not only did I end up with a fuel tank full of water, but also a broken filler cap. Now I am getting ready to put it on the road again, I am not relishing spending £40 on a new one. (on Ebay - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4aaf336c60 - sure they were 25 a few months ago!)

post-33675-0-36701600-1317762286_thumb.jpg

On close inspection of the filler neck, it looks like it is pressed to accept some kind of bayonet fitting cap. Anyone know if there is a cheaper cap I can get to fit this - preferably with a key?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I'm glad I am not the only one who baulked at the £40 price tag! I like the plastic bag idea or maybe a tennis ball perhaps.....

I am beginning to think that as the orginal flap is essentially a hinge with a spring loaded bit of rubber on the bottom, it would not be difficult to fabricate something. If I make it like a padlock hasp I can lock it up too. Then I can use the 40 sheets as a down payment on a tank of fuel.... :D

• 2 weeks later...