Fairey O/D installation question

Eightpot

I'm due to fit an O/D next week, and in the instructions it says to remove the gearbox mounts and drop the 'box down, presumably to get access to the mainshaft cover etc.

However, as I've just had to get the heater out to sort a leak, I'm going to lift the floor pan so I can sort a niggly handbrake problem and a couple of other niggly little jobs - this won't take me long and I could have the floor back down tomorrow - but I'm wondering if leaving the floor up will make fitting the O/D mega easy and mean I don't have to remove the 'box mounts and lower the gearbox??

Anyone done it with the floor up?

When I fitted mine, I removed the central battery box that I have (24V lightweight) which is basically where the middle seat goes -this made the installation very easy, hardly any grubbing around from underneath and allows you to see what you are doing with the mainshaft nut -with the transfer box cover off that is...

So... if you can get to under the seatbox easily I would do it that way.

I didn't have to drop the gearbox either, which was nice.

HTH

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I took the floor out in the end as it was a good chance then to fix my slack handbrake linkage, no other way to get to it. Took longer than removing the floor from my Defender, but easy enough.

Took the lower dash out, heater (easier than I thought to get this out), unbolted seats, then you just need to undo all the screws that hold the main floor section and the rear footwell section.

There are two big nuts on some kind of hinge under the car that hold the main section down and allow it to hinge up for some reason?? (but not very far unless whole dash is removed) they are under the main crossbrace under the seats and after you've removed the seats are the only thing other than all the screws you will see under the carpet holding the floor in.

You may need to remove some exhaust bits too - I've got a diesel & different exhaust so didn't have to.

It may actually be quicker to do the job from underneath & drop the box depending on how rusted up & manky your screws and bolts are, but fitting or removing the O/D is extremely simple with the floor up - 5 minute job.

Taking the floor out gives really good access to the gearbox, so I could give it a good clean up, replace a couple of gaskets on some of the side covers and fix a couple of leaks and re-tighten all the bolts - hopefully I'll have a leak free box now, so will have been worth it. Also made it really easy to clean up the whole central part of the chassis and give it a repaint.

Took a day to fit everything back in, but I was putting some bits right as I was going and did a thorough job of resealing the floor.

Makes it a nicer job if you get some nice new nuts, bolts and screws ready for reassembly, I've done it all with stainless so hopefully next time it will be a nice quick job.