orange peel cure?

Landy-Novice

Your spraygun is a devilbiss SGA - very very old! Frankly it looks like it could do with a damn good clean! Also bear in mind that sprayguns have to be set up for the type of paint that you are using - there are a number of calibrated parts that you have like fluid tips, air caps etc that have to be sized according to what you're doing.

In addition I'd suggest you've got the wrong thinners. What you have is most likely to be synthetic paint and not white sprit based - I suggest you check wahts written on the tin - post it here if need be. If as I suspect it is synthetic, then you should be using synthetic thinners, which comes in different grades that you select depending on what the temperature is when you're spraying. In addition with synthetic it does help to warm the paint prior to spraying it.

If its white sprit based, then frankly I think you'll struggle to get a decent paint finish by spraying it - period. IMHO you're best using 2pack for the best possible finish and hardest wearing paint, notwithstanding the health and safety implications of course. I personally just to give you an example use synthetic on my truck - but I apply it with a 6" brush!

The knobs on your spraygun - the upper one adjusts the spray pattern, and the lower one adjusts how much paint comes out of the nozzle. I sugest you have a fiddle with them on some scrap to work out for yourself waht they do.

Jon

Hmmm that doesnt give you any indication at all as to what sort of paint it is then! I bet it takes ages to dry doesnt it?

I'd try polisshing what you've got and then go from there.

With the correct thinners and a properly set up spray gun you can get good results when spraying synthetic. I'd suggest next time getting the paint you want mixed up at a proper automotive paint suppliers, whereby they can advise you as to what you need, type of thinners etc and can also adise on spray gun set up.

Regards

Jon

I've sprayed loads of things with white spirit thinned paint and its come out really good, however I mix it at about 50:50 but I don't really measure it, more sort of spray a test area and see how it goes.

I have sprayed several beetles and bikes with B&Q eggshell - the stuff you can colour match as I wanted odd colours like panzer-grey.

My advice would be to drop the air pressure, thint he paint more and play with the gun settings, you don't want tonnes of paint coming out and you need to keep it 8 - 12 inches from the surface to be sprayed.

I sprayed the 88's new roof last weekend, outside, with Paintman's cellulose paint, no problem. was about 16o out of the wind

In my defence there was frost on the ground here when I posted the quote about it being a bit cold, seems like summer out today :blink: Bloomin strange weather....

It is a barmy yes!!

If it paint from The Paintman, phone him and ask him. Bill is extremely knowledgable about his paint, the wife had to phone for assisstance in the spring and he was very helpful, explaining to someone who doesnt have a technical mind in the least.

the paintman he's been going for years and I have found him very helpful,

To some extent you have to remember you get what you pay for, a mate of mine has recently resprayed his b reg 90 and the paint alone (metallic burgundy)cost him over £250. I cant remember weather this was 2.5litres with hardener and clear-coat.

I am no good at spraying and only ever consider my paint jobs to be agricultural spec. put my guess is that the paint appears to be to thick in one go, possibly due to lack of enough thinners?