Brakes Rear Shoes

eds

I know this subject is well documented so please forgive stupidity and repetition!

I changed the rear brake shoes and cylinders but still have spongy brakes until 3 presses of pedal and then they are firm as a rock.

I read that the rear brake shoes have to be put on the right way round but when I fitted them they appeared to be all identical and not handed so I just fitted them. Have I gone wrong.

I adjusted them up nicely and bled them twice after a long run but still the brake pedal goes half way down then quarter of the way down and finally no movement at all.

Is it possible to make the brake pedal firm on first press or am I hoping for too much?

Have I mis understood how to fit the rear shoes and are they indeed handed?

Thanks

Ed

What a mess mess, I tested the brake pedal for working without the shoes on one side and exploded the wheel cylinder all over the drive, what a mess!

My question remains though -

How can I reduce the brake pedal travel to be firm on first press?

I have refitted brake shoes correctly

Adjusted front shoe then rear shoe nicely

And bled all four corners, 5 pedal pushes each with no air.

So how can I make the bleedin pedal firm!

Is it even possible?

Clamp the rear hose, then try it. If the pedal is then nice and hard, that will tell you if the problem lies with the rear brakes.

Other things that can cause soft multi-pump brakes include wheel bearings (move the discs about, pushing the pistons back into the calipers) and soft (old) brake hoses that are expanding.

I can't clamp the brake pipe as it is a stainless shield hose.

All pipes are new too.

Can't think what could be wrong with the rear brakes except more adjustment and have them rubbing ever so slightly.

They do become rock hard after a push or two but leave it for a few seconds and back to lots of travel.

Ed, is it a 110? Are you 100% sure they are fitted the correct way round?

I described it to someone here (with pics):

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/179634-brake-adjustment-cam-not-touching-shoes

Other than that, sdjusting them (as you say you have) and bleeding them is the main thing i can think of. Have you tried a pressure bleeder on the system - i find these more effective (and easier than other methods)? Start bleeding with the rear wheel on the passenger side.

I would like to comment on the adjusting of the shoes

If i turn front shoe adjuster clockwise until it binds and then slacken off as needed all seems fine

But if I push the brake pedal I can then re adjust them some more

And then if I press the pedal again I can adjust even more.

Am I wrong to press the pedal mid adjusting between front and rear shoes

I thought pressing the pedal after each adjust would reseat the shoes nicely

But this way it always gives me more adjusting

By the time I go to the second adjuster there is no adjusting needed.

Turns out that I was backing off the adjusters so there was no shoe rub at all which was too much backing off.

Did as Ralph said and did them up tight and backed off 1 or 2 clicks.

That way took all the travel out of the pedal.

Amazing difference..............