TD5 steering wheels and early models

Hi all,

I know this has been done to death, and I know what the answer is.

Or rather, I know what it should be and I thought it might be an interesting exercise to raise this here, because based on the information on this forum and here: http://www.web-rover.../steeringwheels I went and got a nice TD5 steering wheel for my 1988 90, full of hope and joy that it would make a nice addition, so imagine my dismay when the thing didn't fit.

So, if anyone can point me out the reason I may have missed as to why the TD5 wheel appears to have a significantly wider shaft, I would appreciate it, because as of yet it is evading me.

And yes, I bought ANR1972 TD5 "airbag" style wheel, not the later Puma edition.

Any help much appreciated.

there are now 2 variants of the type C wheel, one has a thin 36 spline centre & the other has a 48 spline centre, as your new wheel has the wider 48 spline centre, there are 2 choices, swap the column for a 48 spline unit or change the wheel for the 36 spline version.

IIRC the 48 spline wheel is used on the late Td5 & Puma vehicles, mine is a 36 spline from a Td5 XS station wagon.

a 36 spline version here on ebay

a 48 spline here