alloy wheel studs?

Boro

Came across this by accident whilst looking something else up in the workshop manual it said that early rangerovers will need the studs changing to fit alloy wheels, why is this? does anyone know the part number for the correct studs which apparently have a line of triangle on them, thanks

I don't have the part number. Look at your wheel studs. Is there a "V" or a chisel mark on the end. If there is then you have the correct wheel studs for aluminium alloy wheels.

When on the subject of wheel studa. Are the TD5 Defender studs longer than the marked one fitted to the Range Rover/ Discovey/ Defender ?

lr series site turns up these these http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/6538/RUF000080-WHEEL-STUD.html?search=wheel%20stud&page=1 i will order one next time im ordering from them to try out, not sure how long the studs are i will have a measure at some point and compare the lenght to those on a spare discovery hub i have as i know that has the correct studs, i have ordered a parts book for the early range rover now so with any luck they will be shown in there

I have measured those on the rangerover (which carry no markings) and they are approx 25mm from the hub face, i have also measured those on an old discovery hub i have (which carry the markings) and they are exactly the same length so i dont really know what to make of it now, the one thing i have yet to do is remove a wheel from the rangerover maybe they arent threaded all the way or something thats all i can think of unless they had a different tensile strength but i cant really see why they would

Neither the haynes workshop or restoration manuals go into details about the difference just that they are different and to run alloys i need to change to suitable hubs and studs, the parts book actually states the difference as alloy wheel studs as having larger heads, need to do some measuring now and see whether these studs will fit my hubs or whether i need to change hubs as well which i could do without, does anyone know whether the later metric hubs from an 86-94 rangerover will fit the pre 86 imperial axles without the need to change other parts? from what i can see the wheel bearings are the same, not sure about the drive flanges though, discs need changing anyway

I've given you the lengths for the stud for aluminium alloy wheels. I too use alloy wheels but in this case mine are alloy steel.

As long as the end of the stud is marked as per HAYNES manual then you are fine.

All wheel/ hub bearings are the same from the sater of the Series Three through to the end of the 300Tdi engined vehicles. That would include the V8's fitted withing those years.

Well my copy of Haynes does state the difference. Sorry but I have no idea where my copy is as since we came home in March we've had to do a lot of work in the house so we don't know where things are.

As i mentioned earlier although the length of marked studs and mine are exactly the same the studs on my range rover do not have the markings, this was why i was trying to find out what the difference was given the lengths where the same, parts catalogue says different stud head size, next step for me is to see whether the correct studs fit my hubs or whether i need to change hubs as the range rover haynes workshop manual states changing to suitable hubs/studs

The studs from my 1984 Range Rover which had the three spoke alli wheels fitted are the same as are fitted to my Defender. I canalbalised those studs as spares for my Defender.

These studs are tyhe same length as fitted to my Defender and to a Defender I measured in a workshop that had the wheels off.

What does your dealer say. He should be able to tell you.

From what i can see alloys only became an option in 1981 so i guess its around that time landrover modified the hubs, i fancy asking the dealer would be a waste of time for a 71 range rover, everything is computerised now and pre 85 wont be on the system

From what i can see alloys only became an option in 1981 so i guess its around that time landrover modified the hubs, i fancy asking the dealer would be a waste of time for a 71 range rover, everything is computerised now and pre 85 wont be on the system

Stratstone Stockton on Tees will.