best buget price dual battery setup

our local factor seem unable to answer my question so thought i would look to experience instead

my vehicle is a 90 defender with a 300tdi auto fitted to it

its got a champion 9500lb winch fitted to it which is only going to get (i hope) very occasional use and the usual extra lights

i am looking to find a pair of heavy duty batteries that will start this 100% of the time and be able to use the winch if needed sadly i cannot afford the luxury of optima/gel batteries so have to settle for old style batteries

the problem is i have no clue which batteries i should get and local factors seem unable to help they simply offer the battery listed for the vehicle and thats it

whats the biggest/best pair of batteries that will fit in the existing seat box? that dont cost the earth

sorry if this has been posted before i did use the search but didnt find the answer

Numax batteries are superb value for money and are very tough. Not sure if a pair will fit in a Defender battery box though??

They can be used as either a starter or the aux battery, I swap mine over from time to time which I think helps prolong life even further.

Chdeck out the x-eng site for prices/specs.

Get a pair of the biggest batteries you can fit in the battery box and wire them in parallel. Five minutes with a tape measure (make sure you check height too!) should establish what will or won't fit. Make sure the terminals are the right way round for your leads too. Don't worry about brand names, just get what ever your local motor factor has.

You could also fit an X Eng split charge for little money that will isolate one battery when the engine is off stopping you flattening it inadvertently.

Tayna give sizes for all the batteries on their site, and I can recommend them for price and delivery.

When comparing battery sizes from different sites, make sure you know whether the dimensions given include the terminals, and any bulges in the battery case (usually around the bottom or the top for some types of battery clamp).

Nick.

i have a x-eng split charge relay i have had for ages was going to use it on my series but thinking it might be better served using it on this and isolating one battery just for winching and leaving the other for starting, obviously swapping them over occasionally

The split charger doesn't work quite like that - it only isolates one battery when the engine is off. With the engine running, both batteries are in parallel, receiving charge and available to use for any electrical load so in theory you can flatten both whilst doing heavy winching, but given your description, that shouldn't be too much of a risk for you.

it looks like a pair of those will sit in a standard defender battery box so unless anyone knows differently it looks like a pair of cxv-x is the way to go

with reguard the x-eng split charge relay isnt the whole idea of it to charge both batteries when running and isolate one when it isnt so you always have enough juice to start?