Loss of speedo

Richy B

Good afternoon all, on behalf of a driver at work I'm looking for some advice please ? The vehicle is a 300 tdi gap import auto box on a P reg,

In short the speedo has stopped, apparently it intermittantly cut out a few weeks ago on a run but has been ok ( up until yesterday) all other gauges are ok, looking through the book of lies I understand it has a sender of the transfer box and no speedo cable as such ? Just wondering to change the sender or get a new speedo cluster jobby ? Would be a shame to just change the speedo as it's a really low mileage car and is being sold in march, any clues or tests, tips please ?? Looks "easy enough " to change the sender ?.. Cheers for now , Richard

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon all, on behalf of a driver at work I'm looking for some advice please ? The vehicle is a 300 tdi gap import auto box on a P reg,

In short the speedo has stopped, apparently it intermittantly cut out a few weeks ago on a run but has been ok ( up until yesterday) all other gauges are ok, looking through the book of lies I understand it has a sender of the transfer box and no speedo cable as such ? Just wondering to change the sender or get a new speedo cluster jobby ? Would be a shame to just change the speedo as it's a really low mileage car and is being sold in march, any clues or tests, tips please ?? Looks "easy enough " to change the sender ?.. Cheers for now , Richard

Can you tell us if you'v erectified the problem please? I have the same problem & I don't want to double up on the thread. :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

Right budding disco sparkies...you'll love this one!

My speedo also packed in & i've changed the connectors to the sensor checked the voltage (or lack of )...BUT i no nothing! Then I noticed my reversing lights had also given up the ghost..So I traced the reversing wires back to the sensor, checked for continuity between the two wires & they are shorted out somewhere. but the wires are still disconnected as the wires have my DVM plugged into them to check the voltage. I looked in dismay as the reversing lights were working!?!?...How does that work??? So with the reversing lights connector disconnected I drove up the road & low & behold the speedo decided to work! So now I have a working speedo AND working revesing lights even with the two wires that feed the wiring sensor UNPLUGGED!!!!.....WORK THAT ONE OUT!!!

AND before you come on here saying oh you must have unplugged the wrong sensor.....It was definitely the right two sensors!