Fuel tank sender units

Andy

According the bits of paper I got with my S3 it's got a S1/2 fuel tank. Now assuming it came with a S1/2 sender unit is there any reason it wouldn't work with a S3 gauge?

Currently the way it seems to work is full = empty & 2/3rds full = full. I'm wondering if a positive earth truck's sender unit would make the gauge work backwards & a different resistance range could explain the lack of movement in the gauge?

The various ages of gauges and senders vary in their compatibility. You do need the correct sender. Sometimes you will get a zero reading when full, then a full reading when the level lowers just a little - this just needs a bit of bending of the float arm to stop the rheostat going past the end of the contact area when the float is highest.

Sorry I didn't explain it that well.

When the tank is full the gauge shows 2/3rds full BUT when the tank is empty the gauge shows full. So it's travelling in the wrong direction to just bend the arm to sort it.

Still possibly will sort it, though it is a different description to what I thought I had worked out before ;)

It may be that the sender is falling off the bottom of the rheostat and shorting, giving a full reading. It is certainly the cheapest option to try and bend it for sure.

Well I've kept the tank nearly empty so I can poke my hand in & fiddle with it. Then I can see what the gauge says. Guess if that doesn't work & the sender gives a smooth change on a multimeter then I'll have to get a new sender to suit.

Well I've kept the tank nearly empty so I can poke my hand in & fiddle with it. Then I can see what the gauge says. Guess if that doesn't work & the sender gives a smooth change on a multimeter then I'll have to get a new sender to suit.

That could be a problem. Early senders are screwed into the tank, later ones (SIII) are a sort of twist-lock idea. They don't interchange. Guess how I know..... SIII tank and sender in a Series IIa... Empty reading with a full tank and a very very floppy needle... Reads full when half empty....

That could be a problem. Early senders are screwed into the tank, later ones (SIII) are a sort of twist-lock idea. They don't interchange. Guess how I know..... SIII tank and sender in a Series IIa... Empty reading with a full tank and a very very floppy needle... Reads full when half empty....

Now that sounds possible as I've got a receipt that came with the truck for a S1/11 tank. Might be time to say bugger loudly then. Still the tank is virtually new looking so I guess I wouldn't loose too much swopping to the right one to get a compatible sender.

In about 1967 Land Rover revolutionised their electric system by installing a black instrument panel with flick switches for the lights and wipers and a key switch for the ignition and starter. Among the more revolutionary innovations was the installation of a temperature gauge rather than an ammeter and a change to the slow-reading type of fuel gauge.

Both temperature and fuel gauge in fact operate at about 10 volts and are controlled by a voltage regulator which is a small rectangular box bolted to the back of one of the instruments (On S3 its the speedo!). The tank units have a different resistance and the corrrect one must be used to get the accurate reading.

All SWB gauges are fixed by 6 screws - and the tank mounts are the same for both types - so they are interchangeable. The later units have a flat top, the earlier ones are raised. Later ones are freely available - earlier ones may be unobtainable.

Diesels have a terminal for the low level warning light. A diesel sender can be used on a petrol - simply leave the terminal unconnected. The terminals are marked with letters - T is the gauge and W is the light.

Later LWB's have the tank under the floor at the back - and have a bayonet fitting sender unit - as well as a different (shorter) float arm as the tank is shallower.