93 classic heater resistor location

MikeAK

Hi,

As the title really.

Can anyone confirm the location of the heater fan speed resistor on a 1993 RRC.

I've seen conflicting info, some saying its under the decker panel and some saying it under the dash mounted in the heater box.

It would be nice to know for sure before I start dismantling this weekend!

Thanks

Mike

Remove the passenger side grille on the windscreen scuttle panel and you can see it, assuming yours isn't a soft dash.

Removal is fiddly with a couple of 10mm bolts holding it in, sometimes the connector wil lpull through, sometimes not, if not it's time to dismantle the dashboard...

See here for instructions: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PRC8010.cfm

Countryboy,

I'm not looking at the relay, I'm looking at he resistor pack. Mine only works at full speed, this is usually because the resistors have burnt out.

Regards

Mike

Sorry, fingers and brain not connected, meant to say resistor but typed relay...doh!

Got the old one out today, it was exactly where Bowie69 said it wold be.

It is a completely corroded mess, seems to have failed from years of weather through the vent rather than overheating, three of the terminals fell off when I touched them!

Plug wouldn't pull though so I've just snipped the wires of the old resistor (the ones that didn't fall off) and will solder and heatshrink to some new metal clad resistors I've ordered from Farnell.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Duncan,

When I did mine I made a tray out of some scrap ally sheet I had lying around and attached it to the original mounts under the decker panel. It's a bit fiddly but it can be done through the vent opening.

post-6152-0-65281800-1373132375_thumb.jpg

The values I used are 0R5, 1R5 and 2R0 all 50W. Highest value for lowest speed obviously.

I got mine from Farnell, part numbers 9508058, 9508198 and 9508287

Mike

Hi Duncan,

When I did mine I made a tray out of some scrap ally sheet I had lying around and attached it to the original mounts under the decker panel. It's a bit fiddly but it can be done through the vent opening.

attachicon.gifP1010542.JPG

The values I used are 0R5, 1R5 and 2R0 all 50W. Highest value for lowest speed obviously.

Mike

Perfect!

Many thanks. :)

• 4 months later...

Hi Duncan,

attachicon.gifP1010542.JPG

Mike

Hi Mike. My heater/air con only blows on speed 3 so this thread is a great find, thanks

I've just ordered these from CPC Farnell for £7.60. Much cheaper than the £50 I have seen, albeit complete with bracket.

Going to have a go as soon as they arrive.

Cheers,

This is exactly what I did to repair mine, except I shopped at from RS Components, which is where work has an account :D. Can't recall the R values but 50W, same type as Mike used.

I had to remove half the dash to remove the rusty old ones, all because someone on the production line had been rather over zealous with the cable ties. There was no slack on the loom at all :/