legally cuting a Number plate

Frax

Hi all can I legally cut a Number plate, the reason I ask is my number plate is fitted on top of my winch bumper and looks huge. The reflective background sticks out about 2” past the letters.

I would like to make it a bit more neat – say ½” say passed the letters or the same spacing as there is above the letters. I was also considering cutting a notch at the bottom to make it fit round the Fairlead Rollers.

I was told that the makers name needs to be shown, is this true as if I do cut a notch at the bottom this would be gone.

Frax

Number Plates Dimensions

As of January 2003, changes to the Law mean that all reflective acrylic number plates must conform to specific styles and dimensions, with criteria regulating decoration and extra information.

The following dimensions and regulations must be observed:

Plate and Font Dimensions:

Standard Oblong plate

524mm x 112mm

Standard Square rear plate

285mm x 203mm

Large Front plate

524mm x 112mm

Large Rear plate

533mm x 152mm

Fonts must be displayed use the Charles Wright font

and are available in standard or 3D.

Charles Wright font (per letter)

50mm x 78mm

Small letter spacing distance

11mm

Large letter spacing distance

34mm

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer, and the name and postcode of the supplying outlet (the company who sells the number plates) must be displayed on the backing plate in the stipulated location.

Illegal plates will not be tolerated by the Police. You are not able to alter or misrepresent the letters

The following action could be taken against you in you do not adhere to the rules:

• A fine of up to £1000
  • The registration number will be withdrawn from use
  • The vehicle will fail its MOT

Borders are optional and can be up to 6mm wide.

Regional and country flags (including the Euro-symbol) are optional on plates and must be on the extreme left of the display.

I was stopped by the Police while riding my bike several years ago (I was going a bit too fast) but they said they weren't interested in the speeding and instead issued me a ticket for having a number-plate which was the incorrect size. It was the same plate that was on the bike when I bought it and I was anoyed with myself because I hadn't even noticed but the problem. What had happened was that although the numbers were the correct size it had been trimmed around the edge by the previous owner and this was why they pulled me up (they were having a crack-down on illegal plates).

Thanks for that Litch, I did not want to change or alter the fonts just cut down on the surrounding reflective plate, looks like that can not be done either.

How do you stand if your car is pre 2003 ?

Frax

from here http://www.direct.go...lates/DG_181503

Vehicle registration numbers must be correctly displayed on your vehicle number plate. It is an offence to rearrange them to make them look like names or words or to alter them in any manner that makes the vehicle registration number difficult to read or identify.

What could happen if you display incorrect number plates

The police can issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders could face a maximum fine of £1,000 and in some cases the number plate may be withdrawn.

Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may fail the MOT test.

it doesn't mention pre 2001 reg plates BUT the law regarding displaying ithe reg plate is the same.