Work Light Recommendation

simonr

I bought one of these on eBay: DeWalt DC020

DC020-Front-Back-UK.jpgDC020-With-Battery-EU-web_280x280.jpg

It's half the price on eBay compared with anywhere else - though it was still quite expensive at £60 odd.

However, the light they give off is phenomenal! Working using a torch or even an LED worklight is difficult because of the deep shadows it casts. These which contain a 38W 2D Light produce a very white diffused light - probably as close as you'll get to daylight without your own Fusion Reactor.

The light can run on the mains - but can also run from any DeWalt Battery. The price does not include a battery - but I have a Dewalt drill and more batteries than I've ever used in one go. It will charge the battery when on the mains and has a couple of power sockets on the back which could be handy i suppose.

I bought it to leave in the Land Rover as I've had many situations where lighting up a large area would have been invaluable - either fixing something, recoveries at night or just pitching your tent!

I have a couple of these too:

SDTL38B.JPG

Which contain the same bulb but are mains only.

The lowest cost source I've found for the mains only ones is TLC Direct at about £17

I'm very impressed with both types!

Si

the dewalt one looks a very handy bit of kit,sometimes its worth paying a bit extra for something usefull thats suits your needs,my mates were takeing the mick out of me when i payed £300 for a mac tools cordless impact gun,sayeing i was being "flash" and "lazy",but the times its come in handy offroading in the pouring rain and had to change a wheel or doing repairs in the freezing cold its saved loads of time and now they all want one,i like the fact with the dewalt youve got an extension and light in 1,1 less wires lying around everywher to trip over,would image it would be pretty rugged too

I find one of the most important factors in a work light is finding one that doesn't set off my welding visor. This rules out anything with a conventional lightbulb in it. The fluorescent ones do it to some extent, but the best seem to be the LED type. I got my last one from Aldi - you gotta love the way you can get an inspection light a couple of paces from the onions!

Not had a problem with any lights setting off my welding hat! Staring at the sun does - but that's rarely a problem in England!

I think mine, an ESAB must just be sensitive to UV light as it reacts ok to Plasma and even the lowest current welding.

Si