Chassis Paint Recommendation ?

sj_4x4

I've got a lot of cutting and welding still to do but planning ahead and looking at chassis paint, used the POR Chassis Black in the past that has proved quite durable tho looking at POR15 Hardnose paint, has anyone used it or can recommend a good alternative ?

I used Frost's Chassis Black on my new rear cross member almost 2 years ago and have recently gone over 3/4 of the chassis with it (the bits I can get to anyway), and so far I'm impressed with the results.

You can spend a lot of money on some fancy paint but at the end of the day it's all about the preparation - just me two bobs worth anyway....

It very much depends on the surface finish you are going to be going over. POR15 sticks very well to the correct surface, but on the wrong surface you will experience what Jon describes above. If I recall correctly, that particular paint likes to go over a dull finish. Ie. old paint, not shiny new steel. POR do a selection of pre-treatments to aid adhesion, Prep & Ready, Marine Clean etc.

For what it's worth, my chassis gets a few coats of red oxide primer, followed by a topcoat of black Hammerite. Cheap and easy to apply, and you can easily touch up areas that get damaged or disturbed. I would think that the chassis black option would be in a similar vein. Can slap it on with a brush good and thick too :P

Jon, POR works well on rust or rough surfaces, on smooth or even clean steel is does as you say peel off in sheets ! See you Sunday.

James, never been a fan of Hammerite, find it rather brittle, chassis black was my first thought, tho came across the POR Hardnose that if the blurb can be believed should work well. (http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-hardnose-paint-grey-946ml.html) Shame you can't make Sunday.

Hammerite USED to be good, once upon a time.

I find that now they have made it more enviro friendly (and less stinky) it doesn't cover or stick anywhere near as good as it did.

I'm sure someone on here was talking about using cheapo Screwfix black metal paint and plenty of it. Of course some kind of primer under it would improve adhesion, although the product details suggest this is not necessary.

I've tried a few different paints (albeit not POR15) and i've gone back to red oxide and hammerite. As Retroanaconda said, it's easy to touch up and pretty cheap.

This time I've also applied some new stuff that is waxoyl and hammerite in one pot. I've put it on over the top of the normal hammerite and it seems to be good stuff, it is very thick (you can turn the can upside down with no lid!) and it's meant to resist stone chips etc very well...It's also half the price of plain hammerite in Halfords.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1024

I've done a whole chassis and the underside of the tub with less than a litre

Harry